New to penturning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonK

Hello everyone,

I stumbled onto this site and thought it would be a great place to learn more about pen making without doing it the hard way. I just got setup this week and have made a coupla pens so far. I want to make pens to give as gifts and maybe sell a few. That is not to important. I just like working with wood.:D I have a sawmill and cut most of my own lumber for building and projects. I have a friend that let me make my first pen from some sassafras wood he had. I was hooked. Anyway I am glad to be here and have enjoyed the pics of all the beautiful pens.

Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

England14

Welcome to the vortex. I am new here myself. You have "stumbled" on to a good place. I have learned a bunch since I started hanging out here. Something new ever day. Look forward to seeing your pens.

Daniel

Hey now we don't need a gun... We have a Donk!!!(Line from crocodile Dundee)
welcome, But you shouldn't have mentioned the saw mill. now all you will do is cut big pieces of wood into little bitty ones for all us addicts.

DonK

I live in Alabama and bought my mill after Hurricane Ivan came through. We had a lot of big pine and poplar down. Too much to let waste. That is all I have sawed with a little red and white oak plus some red cedar throwed in. We don't get much of the figured woods like Walnut, Maple and such that some of the more northern states get. We have some interesting woods I just haven't had the occasion to saw any. I did make up about 40 blanks from some RO crotch, QS whiteoak, pecan crotch, cedar and some water oak that a friend that lives in MS gave me that blew down during Hurricane Katrina. The slab came from around a where a big limb grew and has some interesting pattern. For those that are not familiar with Water oak, it is a member of the red oak family.

Thanks for the warm welcome and I am sure I will spend a lot of time reading past threads. I am already intrigued by the glueups using metals and bottle tops and different species together. I am at work right now and wish I was home making pens[:(]

Don

Marc Phillips

<center>
SmallW.jpg
SmallE.jpg
SmallL.jpg
SmallC.jpg
Smallo.jpg
Smallm.jpg
SmallE.jpg
</center>

Status