New to Pen Turning from WV

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Grrrrr609

As the title says, I'm new to pen turning. Name is Dave. I started turning pens as a hobby to get some practice on my lathes. I have a Craftsman wood lathe 15x38 and a Grizzly metal lathe 7x12. Getting into tobacco pipe making and well the materials can get expensive. So looked into something else to do so I could still play with my lathes. One thing lead to another and the pen turning kinda took on a life of its own.

Acrylics have been easy for me to pick up, I guess from restoring and repairing pipes. Wood, well I'm struggling with my finishes. If I treat the pen like a pipe I'm getting good results with carnauba wax. But my CA finishes have, to me anyway, alot to be desired. So I'm here to read, learn, ask stupid questions, etc.

I will post a few pics if I can figure out how.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sataro

Welcome from Corsicana, Tx! You came to the right place! Check out the library, it will get you started with a lot of good information.

Charlie_W

Dave, Welcome from across the river in Loudoun County!

If you need some pen help, just give a holler!

Also, there are 3 local turning clubs that can help.
Mid Maryland woodturners club in Fredrick,
Catoctin Area Turners in Leesburg,
And, Apple Valley in Winchester.

Grrrrr609

Thanx for the welcomes guys.

Welcome to the madness Dave
To bad we are not closer

Harry

I went thru Elkins last spring on the bike trying to out run a toad strangler of a storm.

Dave, Welcome from across the river in Loudoun County!

If you need some pen help, just give a holler!

Also, there are 3 local turning clubs that can help.
Mid Maryland woodturners club in Fredrick,
Catoctin Area Turners in Leesburg,
And, Apple Valley in Winchester.

I may hit you up. I was just on all three club websites last night looking for meeting dates. Unfortunately the Winchester and Catoctin clubs meetings nights won't work for me. I work midnight 12hr shifts those nights. I had heard, from a guy behind me in line at Woodcraft, about the turning clubs couple weeks ago. I'm a self taught amateur on the lathe and my instructor is an idiot so I could use all the help I can get.

Top Bottom