New at Pen turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sjhuse

Hi, It's nice to find your site. I'm a stay at home mom of 3 and haven't had much time for my own interests but now that they are older I'm finally getting to do something I've always wanted to do. Yesterday, I turned my first pen! I'm looking for inexpensive tools, wood (or whatever I need for this new hobby) so I can really get started turning (starting with pens but who knows where that will take me) if anyone knows of any let me know. My father n law also gave me an old craftman lathe - it's missing parts so I get to learn how to restore that too.. Can't wait!

I have included a picture of my first pen - let me know what you think! Happy turning

Sherry

Attachments

• first pen.jpg
    first pen.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 204
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ambidex

Send me your address and will send some blanks, a kit or two...welcome to the vortex!!!..BTW.very nice first pen!..pm address so phishers don't get your info...George

Holy cow. If my first had been that nice I would have quit my "day job". Welcome from Michigan.

By the way, when we post we like to share details. Like, chrome Slimline in Bloodwood with a custom centerband out of ebony. CA (superglue) finish with 250 coats, sanded out to 23000 grit and buffed with the same stuff they used on the Hubble telescope (slight attempt at bad humor, but you get my drift, I hope).

Last edited:

ctubbs

Welcome Sherry, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Your pen is a wonderful first start. Be sure to save it so you can compare it to what you will be doing latter. For practice, you can use any wood you can find, just drill a 1/4 inch hole in it, slide it on the mandrel and turn. Once you get the surface you like then put a finish on it. That way you learn to control the tools and apply a finish without using a kit. No tube needed for this. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Have a look at the series of videos ed4copies has just posted showing how to complete a pen from drill to finish.

Charles

sjhuse

Thank you Ambidex, I sent you my address - hope you got it. I am really new at forumns too so trying to figure my way around. Thanks for all the encouragement and I'll look at the library Ctubbs, thanks for the suggestion of just turning to get familiar with the tools.

Sherry

OOPS

Welcome from Washington State. Nice pen for your first attempt...much nicer than my first pen! I taught my brother and sister-in-law how to turn pens and she started turning Christmas tree ornaments too. She's made some really neat things. She finds it to be an excellent stress reliever when the day's events get to be too much. Thanks for posting, and don't be shy about asking questions. As others have said, it is helpful to include the wood you used, kit, etc. as sometimes the photos don't tell the complete story.

sjhuse

Donovan, I'm not really sure - any suggestions? This is VERY new for me. I only have a few pieces of bloodwood and a piece of olivewood that I would like to use.. I loved the woodcraft store that we used to have but it's not here anymore. Eventually I would like to do enlay but I know I have a ways to go in learning how to use the tools and get familiar with everything. BUT as I have learned that when I want to accomplish something there usually isn't much that gets in the way - I'm willing to try things even if they don't turn out and do them till they do. Anysuggestion though is greatly appreciated, for now I want to start out as inexpensive as possible though untill I get used to it all so I'm not waisting money.

peregrinerose

Donovan, I'm not really sure - any suggestions? This is VERY new for me. I only have a few pieces of bloodwood and a piece of olivewood that I would like to use.. I loved the woodcraft store that we used to have but it's not here anymore. Eventually I would like to do enlay but I know I have a ways to go in learning how to use the tools and get familiar with everything. BUT as I have learned that when I want to accomplish something there usually isn't much that gets in the way - I'm willing to try things even if they don't turn out and do them till they do. Anysuggestion though is greatly appreciated, for now I want to start out as inexpensive as possible though untill I get used to it all so I'm not waisting money.

Well, I get my pen kits from Penn State Industries, as they have a better selection and cost less than Woodcraft. A lot of my woods I get for free... from my own yard, scraps from the local lumbermill, scraps from other home improvement projects. They may not be exotic, but since I'm new, I'm not really looking at going high end right now. I found a guy on Etsy that I buy some blanks from for a good price, and if you want to work with Corian, I did a google search for Corian blanks and you can get those for a song. Contacting a cabinetry shop would probably get you some free/cheap corian and wood products... it's not like you need huge pieces of wood to make a pen.

Take this all with a grain of salt though, as I'm just as new to this as you are!

Ambidex

Hey Sherry..as far as vendors go, there are some very good ones right here. From pens, blanks,and all the supplies, there's nothing you can't find here for better prices than some of the bigger vendors. Plus they seem to be willing to help with any problems, and all I've dealt with stand by their products...Geo

sjhuse

Thanks, I have friends in the construction business that I can probably get oak (from stair cases) and parts from cabinets and such. I'll give them a call - great idea. any ideas on tooling, chucks, mandrils and such that I will need to get?

peregrinerose

Thanks, I have friends in the construction business that I can probably get oak (from stair cases) and parts from cabinets and such. I'll give them a call - great idea. any ideas on tooling, chucks, mandrils and such that I will need to get?

I've gotten some good buys on Craigslist and auctions (see www.auctionzip.com) for tools. If you know what you are looking for and can run power tools well enough to check them out, it can save you a fortune.

Top Bottom