New pen maker junkie from NY.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Karin Voorhis

Ok it's time to say hello and come out of the shadows here. First off THANK YOU ALL!!!! I am another newbie lurking around and turning for about a year. Never in the summer I teach the MSF motorcycle class on top of the day job than so not much shop time. I have been lurking around here over a year now and then I saw a post for the ResinSaver Mold!!! Just learning most everything here how to cast I had to have a mold so thanks to London88 here I am soon to be an owner of one of his molds to start with! I am all self taught of internet learned and have so super much to learn and that is a big part of what I love so much about turning! I am looking forward to so much. As well as coming out of the dark here; this Thursday I will be crashing a turner's club local here to ask to join them. :tongue: I guess this is a good intro for the moment. Again I am so grateful for all I have picked up here over the year plus lurking. Thanks London88 for bringing me into the light and here.

Attachments

• smaller.jpg
    smaller.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 209
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rollerbob

Karin, you had me until you mention NewLondon88!!:eek: Chas, as most everyone calls him, loves to lure people in and sell them his molds(even tho they are the best):cool:. It is just the beginning of a downhill spiral of penmaking needs!!:thunder:Glad to have you on board and welcome from Texas!!:cowboy:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Oh Bob .. you sweet talker.. :tongue:

Glad you made it Karin .. isn't it nice to come out into the light? Just
stick around, we'll have you spending more than you make in NO TIME!! :biggrin:

Seriously

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Karin, I love what you did with that tulipwood. Glad to have you here.

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. You may know many, but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

bobskio2003

Well it is certainly nice to have another New Yorker added to the group. We're not as loud as those Texans ;-) but we still do some nice stuff and a force to be reckoned with. Welcome aboard, Bob I.

Karin Voorhis

such a warm welcome

Thank you all. I am so looking forward to my mold coming more than ever now since My very first cast seems to of worked ok. This place is like magic as I read and learn and than try and experiment after the $$$$ that is spent. LOL!!! yes I got that lesson learned really easy. :biggrin: So I just truned out my first cast other than the fact I believe I was sold the wrong bushings I worked it out very happy now.

JerrySambrook

Westen Mass

Karin,
Welcome from Western Mass. If you close to Albany, then you are not far from us here, and are more than welcome to join us at our next meeting in West Springfield. You can even meet that esteamed person Chas (never heard him called THAT before) (newlondon88).
Have a sparkling day

Jerry

p.s. ex H2 rider

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Karin! You have a good friend in NewLondon - a smart, experienced common sense kinda fellow. But watch him! :biggrin: Join in the fun and post some picts of your work!

Karin Voorhis

Happy new western NY member

Ok all Look what I just got in the mail! Happy day! No time to play tonight going to the Turners 2 meeting tonight. Looking forward to playing soon!!!!!:biggrin:

Attachments

• menmold.jpg
    menmold.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 108

Karin Voorhis

Oh no being hooked even before the pour!!!!!!! YES I AM!!!!!! BTW: YOU MUST MAKE A SLIME LINE MOLD!!!!! TRUST ME WE WILL GET THEM SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WILL BE WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Len Shreck

Hello Karin and Welcome I am a total newbie possibly going to pick up my first real turning lathe today, if I can get a hold of the guy that is selling it, nice meeting you and so far everyone here has been great answering any and all questions I have ask so enjoy. Len

bobleibo

Karin,
You only lurked for a year ! I also hid out for a long time. Run now before you end up in that IAP 12 step program. I am going broke trying out all the great ideas I find on this web site. I love this place...my bank acount - not so much!
Cheers from Utah - land of make believe!

Karin Voorhis

Karin - Welcome from a fellow New Yorker.

Jim we are close I am only an 1 1/2 from you south of Buffalo... I just joined the Turners 2 club. perhaps I will run into you at a Pembroke event???

Yes I think 12 step is needed but I had to come out of hiding due to the fact talking skews and PR wood and kits to my fellow friends here was going to get me killed. much safer here even if I do go into the hole $$$ wise. Love it here!!!!:biggrin:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Karin .. just start discussing the relative merits of BLO/CA vs lacquer dip
and watch the dinner invites start rolling in ..

Top Bottom