New one from CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MrPukaShell

Looking forward to collecting information and tips from some folks that know what they are doing. Started turning recently and can't stop. I look at wood in a whole different way now. No more passing up those chairs with the "Free" sign attached, I at least stop check the grain, see if it is solid and toss it in the car to cut up. I even look to see what trees are down after wind storms. I think I am infected and the only cure is to breath sawdust.

Robert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by MrPukaShell

Looking forward to collecting information and tips from some folks that know what they are doing. Started turning recently and can't stop. I look at wood in a whole different way now. No more passing up those chairs with the "Free" sign attached, I at least stop check the grain, see if it is solid and toss it in the car to cut up. I even look to see what trees are down after wind storms. I think I am infected and the only cure is to breath sawdust.

Robert

Yep you got it.... ever since we started turning I can't drive down a street without looking at the trees beside the road to see if any of them have any nice burls attached!!

[:X] Mrs.

RonInSpringTX

Robert...Welcome from TX. I know what you mean about the downed trees!!! couple of years ago after Hurricane Rita came thru, I found all kind of stuff!! Around the same time, my brother gave me a couple of 4' X 4' slabs of bowling alley maple!! It was kinda tough separating the individual boards 'cuz they were nails were staggered throughout, but after it was done I've got enough maple (some curly & birdseye!) to do probably a couple of hundred pens!!! (or quite a few cutting boards!!) you really want to see some nice wood to work with go to Chris' site on here. Kalai <here's his name/link

later, Ronnie

jwoodwright

Welcome Robert. I'm the same way, there was a time I looked down on "dumpster diving", then I realized what "treasures" they contained. Little green treasure chests...[:I]

I have one of those metal finder rigs they sell for checking lumber. It's amazing what a carbide tipped blade will do to a "hidden" drywall screw.[:0] The patch was so good, I didn't notice it...:(

oldsmokey

Hi Robert. I lived in Simi Valley for many years. Great place to live. To bad it is so near to LA and the San Fernando Valley. Glendale has a great chapter for AAW.
Ellis

jcollazo

Hello Robert!!! I waaaaayyyyyy across the county from you. I never owned a chainsaw before I joined this group. You'll pick up all sort of things hanging out with this group

Top Bottom