New From N. Cal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Spinzwood

I'm both new here on IAP as well as pretty new to turning. I'm an old retired f@rt and I live in N.California (Santa Rosa). To start, I joined AAW and a local turning club (Wine Country Wood Turners).

I started to "want" to turn many years ago (1999) while working at Woodcraft here in Santa Rosa (went belly up). I was in sales and taught woodcarving classes. I got a bug to purchase a lathe and got a Jet Mini 1014 back when they were bluish green, no indexing or spindle stop. I made a few pens with it and put it away for all these years.

I then took a "class" at a woodcarving rendezvous and played with a similar Jet for 5 days and had a ball. Learned a few things, but it was not a formal class and not much instruction. There were other more experienced turners that helped me along the way.

When I got home, I pulled out my old 1014, and a couple of weeks ago, set it up and made a single bottle stopper out of some quite old oak (don't know what species). It was harder than flint, but I was successful. Since then, I sold the Jet and bought a Nova Comet II for some extra capacity and power, some tools, slow grinder and a Wolverine fixture set. Yesterday, I cleaned the rust preventive off the Nova and ran the DC motor in for an hour. I think I'm ready to turn some more of my firewood. :)

My plan is to turn pens, stoppers and other smaller items until I get the feel of the lathe and tools. My desire is to work with simple bowls, lidded boxes, and "graduate" into segmented items. I bought a sled to help make the segments correctly.

So there I am at the moment. My other interests are ukulele, woodcarving, growing fig trees, vegetable gardening and a myriad of other things.

It'll be nice to meet and chat with some of you.. and, at sometime, I hope to gain enough proficiency to be of help to others.

Bill, Santa Rosa, CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

Welcome aboard.
There is no place like this place near this place... this MUST be THE place!

The key here is to participate! Ask questions when you have'm, answer questions when you can, and make friends!

Top Bottom