New in mo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dr_N

Hey all,
Just wanted to say hi. I've made a few pens, but would definitely say I'm still very new to it. I've mostly done slimline and designer pens from PSI. CA finish is my newest hurdle, and can't consistently get the finish I want yet. Hoping to learn here! Thanks for having me!

Dr. N

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dr_N

Quick question, and not sure where to post it... Is there an Android app that anyone recommends that works with this forum?

randyrls

Welcome! To get good at CA finishes practice, practice!, PRACTICE! Turn a pen blank down until it is just round. It will much larger than the bushings, but that is OK. Sand the blank; Apply the finish and critique the finish. Even continuous coverage? Sand and finish the blank If you see areas of shine and areas that are dull, the CA didn't coat the blank evenly. Now use your gouge or skew to remove the finish from half of the blank, vary your technique slightly and apply the finish again. Better of worse?? Remove the "worse" side and refinish that side. Repeat this process until you get a good even coat of CA ten times in a row! If you decide to change something about the technique, change only one thing at a time.

CA finish is my newest hurdle, and can't consistently get the finish I want yet. Hoping to learn here! Thanks for having me!

Dr. N

magpens

What do you use for applying the CA ?

Some people use a piece of blue shop towel folded up to a 1" by 3" rectangle. That's what I use.

Other people use a piece of craft foam ... cut from a sheet about 1/16" thick that you can buy at a craft store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels. These people swear by this method. I just bought some foam to try this method.

Dr_N

What do you use for applying the CA ?

Some people use a piece of blue shop towel folded up to a 1" by 3" rectangle. That's what I use.

Other people use a piece of craft foam ... cut from a sheet about 1/16" thick that you can buy at a craft store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels. These people swear by this method. I just bought some foam to try this method.
I currently use the paper towel technique. I'm now curious about the foam. I've tried the plastic parts bags that others have suggested, but never like the results as much as the paper towel.

I'd be interested in your experience with the foam.

Top Bottom