New from Middle Tennessee

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RegisG

Really pleased to find this resource. Just "easing" my way into pen turning. Did some larger turning about 35 years ago but am pretty much starting from scratch now. I do some detailed scroll sawing and want to venture into small turning.
First on my list is proper equipment. I thought I could use my metal late but, it is WAY too powerful and too slow. I do have very limited space and this is not a business venture, purely enjoyment. My only interest is in pens and knobs. Always wanted to do pens but other things got in the way
There are no dealers near me but, may venture down to Woodcrafters to see what they have.
BTW, I'm in Mount Juliet, Tn in case there are forum members near by.

Thank you,
Regis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Welcome from western NY state! There are some folks here who use metal lathes. There are also a couple of folks who do scroll saw work.

There are also several online suppliers where you can anything you need including a lathe of any size.

jttheclockman

Welcome to the best pen turning site on the net. You will get to meet some very talented and well taught members that are always willing to share their knowledge. There is so much information packed within the confines of this place it will take months to read it all. But what is nice it is always at your fingertips. Learn to use the library and also learn to do some searches using the 2 search features at the top of each page. They are very valuable. Jeff the owner of the site and many member past and present have dedicated their time and effort to put forth much of this info.

We always love to see photos but be cordial with the size you post. We love people that have more than one hobby also because many times things can help with pen turning. Pen turning is a rewarding hobby depending how far you want to take it. the imagination is your only limit. Many aspects of working with such a small canvas can be achieved to give many different looks.

I too am a scroller and have been doing it over 30 years so we love to see some of those projects you make also.

Anyway welcome from the state of NJ and relax and have fun.Hope you do stick around and become a voice we like to hear from. :)

brucer16

Welcome from Smyrna, TN! I'm just getting started buying equipment. I bought a Jet 1221VS on Black Friday, but waiting for a little bit warmer weather before I set it up! I've been lurking on this website for a year and trying to learn as much as possible. Lot's of good info and very talented turners here.

Top Bottom