New Michigan turner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking ever since I asked for pen turning supplies for my birthday. Been learning a lot from y'all already!

Now that my birthday has come, I made my first pen and am having a blast. The photo shows it alongside my first spurtle. Everyone in my family has now placed their orders for pens (and a couple of spurtles...), along with requests for additional pens as graduation gifts. Time to up my pace (and quality)!

My dad is a master cabinetmaker and recently passed his woodworking tools down to me as he downsized. I'm trying to learn the woodworking arts for my own enjoyment and as a tribute to my dad and grandfather (the original owner of the machines). This first pen was made from some cherry that was an offcut from the bedroom furniture my dad built for us.

I'll include a scan of the original invoice for the lathe, from April 1954. The papermill in Franklin, Virginia gave my grandfather a complete woodshop as a gift to him on his retirement. People tell me he could make any part needed to keep the mill running, from forging and blacksmithing to machining and woodworking.

Thanks for all of the camaraderie and wisdom here on the site!

--Rob

Attachments

• Woodturning-5042.jpg
    Woodturning-5042.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Woodturning-5038.jpg
    Woodturning-5038.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Invoice2.JPG
    Invoice2.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 117
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Rob, Welcome from Virginia!

Looks like you already have spindle turning and pen turning down pat!
Very nice job on the pen and the spurtle!

Top Bottom