New Member from Va.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turkey-slayer

Been lurking around and finally decided to join IAP Forum...I'm new to penturning and have only made about 8 pens so far but it is fun and addictive...I'm not totally new to turning on the lathe because I have been making turkey hunting calls for about 4 to 5 yrs...Slate and glass calls to be specific...Hope to learn some creative ways to make pens from some of you...From some of the posts I've seen so far there is a lot of talented penmakers and other talented turners here to learn from.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jhs494

Welcome Ralph! I can't wait to see some of those calls you make. Be sure and show them off in the other things you make section.

Randy_

Welcome aboard, Ralph. I think you will enjoy it here. We have many knowledgeable members who can help with your pencrafting education.

If you haven't done so already, take a look at the IAP LIBRARY. The library has lots of interesting and useful information available and there is no fine for keeping a book for longer than three weeks!!:D

Hi Ralph,
Welcome to the group... I started on pens, but have migrated to game calls as well.. I have a collection of duck calls, deer grunts, elk bugles, owl hooters, crow calls and coyote yelpers... plus just learned to do the Turkey Pots.. Slate over Glass and have actually sold a few.
They are lots of fun and a nice challenge.

Do you use the washer for the glass pedistal or do you turn it into the pot??
I usually leave a pedistal in the bottom as part of the bottom for the glass.

turkey-slayer

Chuck...I do turn a pedestal in the bottom of my pot calls...But I don't leave a solid ring pedestal for the soundboard to be glued...after turning the pedestal in the call I take it off the lathe and go to the drill press where I use a 3/8 Forstner bit to drill out part of the pedestal to which I glue my soundboard on...the pedestal size is about 1.5" round turned inside the pot but partly cut out leaving 2 parts of the circle holding the soundboard...hope that makes sense to you.

Top Bottom