New member in Surprise, AZ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thumpik

Man, I was so busy reading all these posts that I almost forgot to introduce myself. Great place to learn all about turning pens! I've been a hobbiest in woodworking for about 30 yrs, but only recently started turning pens, thanks to my better half buying me a lathe and pen starter kit last year. Took me a while to start using it, but now I'm hooked. Having built a couple of guitars and such, it's great to be able make some pens and see a finished product that didn't take a couple of months to complete. Great website and I can tell people are here to help. Very cool indeed!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

Hi neighbor nice to see you here. Another good site is lumberjocks.com This site is the best for learning pens and getting info they are great

Thumpik

Welcome skip, you will likely find lots of uses for some of that scrap instrument wood around here.

You hit the nail on the head! I have a couple of boards my brother gave me about 20 yrs ago and never could figure out what to do with them. Some purple heart and cocobolo to be exact. I've already started working with the purple heart and made my first couple of pens out of it. I'm learning the CA method of finishing and also trying out some other finishes to get a feel for things. Lacquer was about the only I've used on other things, and was really surprised to see CA glue was so popular. Damn, it works!!!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Skip!

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

leehljp

Member Liaison
Man, I was so busy reading all these posts that I almost forgot to introduce myself. Great place to learn all about turning pens! I've been a hobbiest in woodworking for about 30 yrs, but only recently started turning pens, thanks to my better half buying me a lathe and pen starter kit last year. Took me a while to start using it, but now I'm hooked. Having built a couple of guitars and such, it's great to be able make some pens and see a finished product that didn't take a couple of months to complete.

I know the feeling. I got into pen turning for that reason. For me, a woodworking project is usually a 3 year deal. Shop space is limited over here and it takes half an hour to get things set up, half an hour to put all the tools up; then close neighbors hate noisy tools early morning or from dark, or mid afternoon when babies are sleeping. So for me, I started pen turning.

Glad to have you here and your Guitar finishing skill will be helpful. Join in the fun, ask questions and give advice too!

Top Bottom