New member from SC!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Palmetto_Dave

Just found this forum, and am just getting into turning. I have seen some work from a few locals, and have to be involved with this! I am a PEN FANATIC to begin with!

I have just started looking at lathes of my own, but am not sure how to buy one. I know I will do pens, first and foremost, but as a baseball fan, I'd like to try my hand at a bat at some point.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Well, to buy a lathe it is necessary to find a store that sells lathes! :D;)

I started with a mini lathe which I still enjoy for penturning, and then was fortunate enough to find a Jet 1236 to buy used. It all depends on how much money you are willing to put into the hobby. I would suggest that you spend some time here at the forum, read through the articles in our library and glean opinions from your study as to what lathes various members like. For instance, there is a poll going right now on what brand of lathe people use.

Enjoy your time here.

Dave, you'll notice that another of today's new introductees, Paul, has a Jet 1220 VS on order. That lathe has a lot of nice features. There was a thread started yesterday discussing that machine with reference to a comparable Grizzly lathe. You'll want to look at those. Cost is in the $350 to $450 range, as I recall.

Others of us use the Rikon mini lathe, which often can be had new and on sale for about $200. Jet sells a comparable model at a comparable price, as do several other manufacturers.

Cav makes a good suggestion insofar as doing your research. I'd focus on learning what features your colleagues find worth paying for. For instance, my lathe lacks continuously variable speed. It would have cost a couple hundred dollars more but, knowing what I know now, I wish I had sprung for it.

Other than that, welcome to the group.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Dave ! I bought a Turncrafter TCLPROVS from PSI for $274.95 with the extension bed . It came with an extra belt . The variable speed works great . I've used it continuously for over a year now , with no problem . The tool rest however , seems to be a bit soft . I'm not telling you to buy this lathe . Just offering you one you might check into . Good luck in your turnings .

fiferb

Hello Dave,
I live about an hour west of you. I may be able to help with a lathe. The president of my woodworking club is selling a Jet 1236 (I think) at a very reasonable price. PM me if you are interested.

And, most importantly, welcome!

jedgerton

Dave,

Welcome to the addiction. I'm an SC native but I'm now living in Austin, TX. I grew up in Florence. What part of the Palmetto state do you call home?

John

jhs494

Welcome Dave! When you do decide on your lathe be sure and keep us informed on your purchase, I am sure that you will find at least one other person with the same piece of equipment and they may be able to offer some tips and such.
When you get that first pen made show it off in the SOYP section!

aurrida

welcome, there will be lots of things you will need and lots of things you will want. i turn pens only, on a mini wilton. it does me fine. i reckon the lathe has been about 1/10 of my total outlay so be warned.

Palmetto_Dave

I understand there is a sale coming up at my local WoodZone store, in which a mini Rikon will be on sale for around 200, down from 250. So I'm going to try and get in on that deal. It's very limited, and one day only, so wish me luck.

Anybody else use a Rikon?

Originally posted by Palmetto_Dave

I understand there is a sale coming up at my local WoodZone store, in which a mini Rikon will be on sale for around 200, down from 250. So I'm going to try and get in on that deal. It's very limited, and one day only, so wish me luck.

Anybody else use a Rikon?

I use one, Dave. I got mine for $200, as well. I like it a lot. Two features it lacks that I'd like to have are continuously variable speed and outboard turning capability. Of course, those are convenience features and add to the price. Also, the outboard turning has nothing to do with pen turning.

Other than that, the Rikon is rock solid, good motor, no plastic parts other than the switch and the accessory tray. I've been using mine for 53 weeks now, and the headstock/tailstock alignment is still perfect. If I were in the market for another lathe in this price range, this one would get serious consideration. The only reason I don't give it an unequivocal endorsement is that, in all candor, I don't know what else is out there.:)

LEAP

Dave,
I've been using the Rikon mini for about a year and a half and have been very happy with it. The ease of changing the speed is hands down better than a lot of similiar sized lathes on the market. For the money I don't think you will find a better lathe.

Palmetto_Dave

My only problem is, I don't know enough about Rikon. At some point, I'd like to try to turn a bat, but this lathe is not going to allow it. Can anyone tell me if Rikon offers an extension, like JET does? I have noticed extensions available on several models actually.

Fred

Welcome to the Forum, Dave. Listen to those here as many have been around quite a while and can offer you ways to better spend your money. Afterall, we all have been there before. I would suggest you find the local Woodcraft, be sure to take your checkbook, and go there and put your hands on the display lathes. Be sure to get one that does a lot more than what you plan on doing. You will enjoy making a lot of things besides the fabulous pens.

I also advise you to get a good heavy lathe that has variable speed control. The ability to change speeds without having to change belts is a dream come true. :D

Top Bottom