New Member on Long Island, NY

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ngilmour

Hi there.

New member here. Thanks for all the good information posted here, has given me a really good start. I have so far made about 12 pens, since getting my lathe a week or so ago. Went to the Somerset NJ, woodworking show, turned my very first pen, (first time using a lathe too), and was hooked!

So, now I'm experimenting with different finishes. I have a quick question on Hut PPP and/or white diamond. What's the difference in these products, do you use them together?

Best finish I got so far is on a Cocobolo pen and pencil set, sanded to 4000 with Abralon pads, then brown PPP, cream PPP, Hut Crystal Coat and TSW. They look great!

Tried CA/BLO a few times, unsuccessfully. Had to sand back and do something different. Will have to keep trying. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks again for all the effort everyone has put in here to share information. Hopefully I will be able to contribute as I make discoveries of my own. Everyone have a great day!

Nick Gilmour,
Long Island, NY

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

Welcome from Ohio. I have only been turning for about a month now but my only advice is work with the CA/BLO. Trust me its worth it. Even my wife is getting the hang of it.

alamocdc

Welcome, Nick. LI is one of my all time favorite places. I used to teach up there so often I had a Suffolk County Green Card so I could play golfer more economically.:D

cutterwoodjoe

Welcome Nick, from another Long Islander I was also at the Somerset show.
Billy, I didn't know you were here alot although I'm a Nassau boy

alamocdc

Originally posted by cutterwoodjoe

Billy, I didn't know you were here alot although I'm a Nassau boy

Yep, I made at least two trips a year up there from '91-'94. Bein' a West Texas country boy I had my share of misconceptions about the place. LI is much larger than I had ever envisioned... silly me. But I was equally surprised at the number of misconceptions about Texas. I was actually asked (more than once) if we all still rode our horses to town. Apparently there are those who thought (or may still think) that everyone in Texas owned horses.:D

jhs494

Welcome Nick, be sure and show off some of your pens in the SOYP section, it is always nice to see new work.

Top Bottom