New Member: Lathe question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gabby

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I've read many past messages and have found this board to be very informative. I plan to start pen turning in the near future. Since I feel the lathe will be the most important item I need, I don't want to make a mistake by buying the wrong one. I have been leaning towards the Jet mini because of negative comments made about the Rikon lathe. My first question, has Rikon corrected past problems and now make a lathe that rivals or is better than Jets? My second question, if Jet is still the best choice, I see they have 4 models available, variable w/nova chuck, variable w/face plate, 6 speed w/nova chuck, and 6 speed w/face plate. Which of these five choices (including the Rikon) would be the best for penturning? Thank you for your replies.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Draken

You should also check out the Grizzly G0624 lathe. http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0624
It is a very nice lathe, 6 speeds, and you don't need to remove the spindle to replace the belt if/when it breaks. The Jet 10x14 weighs 72 pounds, the Grizzly weights 89, so there is a bit more mass there to help with vibration should you decide to start turning small bowls or other items. Just something else to consider in your price range.

igran7

I originally bought a Jet 6 speed mini and quickly wished I'd bought the VS model. After a few months of turning I did purchase the Jet VS model and am extremely happy I did.

gerryr

Welcome to the IAP. I have a 6-speed Jet mini, but if I was buying a lathe today the Rikon would be my choice. If you are primarily going to turn pens, at least to start, you don't need the scroll chuck. I have a Nova Midi chuck and it's nice, but about the only thing I use it for is holding my buffing wheel. I have a Beall collet chuck that gets used every day. The Beall is a better investment than a scroll chuck for making pens. But, if you also plan to turn other things, like small bowls, you will need a scroll chuck and I would look at PSI's Barracuda chuck.

Gabby

Gerry R, if I may ask why would you now prefer the Rikon over the Jet? Being new at this I have no understanding on how a lathe works so I need to ask more questions. I have read other favorable posts about the beall collet chuck. If I were to buy the Jet VS which I'm leaning towards because of the survey, (thanks Dario) should I get the one with the face plate and then attach the Beall collet chuck? Also, I would like to know why the variable speed would be better than the 6 speed. I appreciate all replies and hope to be a productive member of the board eventually. If I keep this up I will never get out of the basement! Thanks again. Gary

igran7

Gabby, I "upgraded" to the VS model because I wanted to be able to slow down or speed up the RPM's without changing the belts. The VS model still has 3 belts if you want to change the speed from one extreme to the other, but it allows more flexibility than the non VS model.

I keep mine set in the middle speed setting which allows me to turn pens of any material, plus allows me to apply CA for a finish at a slower RPM setting with only the turn of the knob. If I wanted to accomplish this on a non VS lathe I would have to stop the lathe, release the motor/belt tension with the provided wrench and manually change the belt to a different pulley, reset the motor/pulley tension and tighten. Then to return back to the previous speed I would need to do it all over again.

I like to slow the lathe down considerably when applying CA or Novus to avoid splatter and to acheive a more consistant smooth application. This process would be time consuming if I only had the 6 speed lathe. With the VS model I can accomplish this task in a fraction of the time. Also allows more flexibility when turning bottle stoppers, small bowls or any other non pen turnings.

alamocdc

First, Gabby, welcome. I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I'll throw my opinion in just 'cause I can. IIRC, Jet has a 5 year warranty. Not sure of anyone else who can touch that. So if it were me, I'd be getting the new VS Jet mini w/scroll chuck. Why scroll chuck and not face plate? Scroll chucks are usually quite a bit more expensive than face plates. But again, that's JMO.

Gabby

Thanks alamocdc and everyone else. I'm pretty sure I will be getting the Mini Jet variable speed indexing mini with scroll chuck model 1014vsi. The grizzly and rikon sound good also. I think I would prefer a Jet however since it seems way more people on this board own one and that might be of help in case of any problems or technical questions. Thanks again. Gabby

Gabby

As an added note, I've found out that the Jet vs is around 140$ more than the regular jet. I don't think that will deter me as I am willing to pay more for ease of use. Also, Jet doesn't always include the scroll chuck with the lathe. That only happens when they run a special every so often. Hope this helps. Gabby

Gabby

Hello again everyone. My next post will be at the other board since I'm not a new member anymore. I have 2 days seniority here. I think I will wait for some kind of special before I pick up that jet lathe. Of course by then something better will have come along and I will have to do this all over again. Gabby

Randy_

If you can be a little patient, I would suggest you consider waiting for the JET 1220VS to become available. Or look at the comparable Grizzly model which may be a better value for less money.

Welcome aboard, Gabby. I think you will enjoy it here. We have many knowledgeable members who can help with your pencrafting education.

If you haven't done so already, take a look at the IAP LIBRARY</u>. The library has lots of interesting and useful information available and there is no fine for keeping a book longer than three weeks!!
icon_smile_big.gif

10280007.gif
20056145259_eaglemed.jpg

Dallas, TX................................In Their Memory

Daniel

For penturning I would recommend the VS. Lots of speed changing and I have been shackled with the belt changing thing for years. I have heard some negatives at times about the jet VS but for the most part users seem to be happy with them. Second best would be a belt system that can be changed quickly and easily. This would be the first thing I would be looking for when I go look for a new lathe myself.

Gabby

Randy, the 1220 looks nice. I think I'll stay with the 1014 however because I like its size. I really want to concentrate on penturning at this time and I feel the mini will suit me better. That being said, I always keep my options open. Thanks again for every opinion. Gabby

Top Bottom