New Member from Japan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chriselle

Hello Folks,

What a great site you have here. My name is Chris and while originally from Canada I now reside on the Izu Penninsula (four hours south of Tokyo) Japan. I've been making pens for a number of years now and have a modest little storefront hobby business that I just opened highlighting my "Chriselle" pens. I look forward to getting know you guys (and gals) and converse about this fun and rewarding hobby we share.

Cheers,

Chris Leadbeater AKA "Chriselle"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Chris,

I live in Toyota-shi (Aichi-ken) almost next door to you. I have been on the Izu honto many times. Been in Japan for almost 23 years. But will be heading back to the States in just over a couple of years. If you are still here then, I might dump some of my pen turning or woodworking tools on you. :biggrin:

Where did you get your pen turning tools? I have been in the tool district of Osaka and many fine tool places (including industrial) in Aichi but I rarely see anything related to turning of any kind. Every other kind of too is available though.

Glad to have another pen turner here. There was one fellow for Tokyo that came on a couple of years ago for a few months and then stopped.

One last question: Where / What city/town do you live in? I do get back into the Shizuoka area once or twice a year for a day trip - often on the way back from a Tokyo meeting.

Last edited:

chriselle

Welcome Chris,

I live in Toyota-shi (Aichi-ken) almost next door to you. I have been on the Izu honto many times. Been in Japan for almost 23 years. But will be heading back to the States in just over a couple of years. If you are still here then, I might dump some of my pen turning or woodworking tools on you. :biggrin:

Where did you get your pen turning tools? I have been in the tool district of Osaka and many fine tool places (including industrial) in Aichi but I rarely see anything related to turning of any kind. Every other kind of too is available though.

Glad to have another pen turner here. There was one fellow for Tokyo that came on a couple of years ago for a few months and then stopped.

One last question: Where / What city/town do you live in? I do get back into the Shizuoka area once or twice a year for a day trip - often on the way back from a Tokyo meeting.

Hello Hank,

Pleasure to meet you, sir. Yes, you are just "down the way". I hope you didn't get caught up in all that flooding down there last week. We get down to Nagoya once or twice a year for the Camping and RV show and to visit friends.

I'm living in Ito and have a house right on the beach in Usami. We've been here for 7 years now but this is year 14 for me in Japan.

Ya, I'll take dem tools off your hands when you ship out but honestly I'm not sure how long we're going to be here either. I can't foresee leaving in the next few years but after that who knows..

I get most of my tools from OFF CORPORATION which carries a good range of quality tools at fair prices and they are located right here in Shizuoka. The re-labeled Carba-Tec mini lathes are pretty darned good. I am looking to upgrade my table saw and it seems to be the only large tool I can't find here in Japan other than the big (read expensive) heavy Japanese brands. Ideally, a Delta contractors sized saw is what I'm looking for. If you have any sources please let me know.

By all means if you are passing through we should get together. My wife and 5 year old daughter love having guests and after all that's what beach houses are for.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Chris,

I am sending you a PM.

We did have some flooding near here. Okazaki is only about 10K from me.

Last edited:

marcruby

Chris;

You might know something about this. A few years ago Ryozo Kawakita visited an AAW Symposium. From what I understood traditional Japanese woodturing (Urushi ware?) uses a different type of lathe and tools. In fact the tools are made by the turner. Do you know any more about this?

Marc

chriselle

Chris;

You might know something about this. A few years ago Ryozo Kawakita visited an AAW Symposium. From what I understood traditional Japanese woodturing (Urushi ware?) uses a different type of lathe and tools. In fact the tools are made by the turner. Do you know any more about this?

Marc

Hey Marc,

Ah, yes...The good old lacquerware from Yamanaka. The maki-e and sensuji artwork is absoutely stunning. Unfortunately, I really don't know a whole lot of details about the really traditional woodturing techniques.

There is a fellow on the penninsula here that is a semi-famous turner that I visited a few years ago. And yes, in fact most of his equipment is "one off" but not so traditional....rather it reminded me of some heavy duty pre-war type of lathe. His tools did have a DIY look to them as well. I would love to some day go to Yamanaka to see the truly traditional stuff.

Although it doesn't involve much turning the traditional artistic woodworking of this area (Hakone) is very famous. For those guys who dig inlay work the parquetry they do here is really amazing. I'd love to do a pen in it.

Here's an English link.
http://www.yosegi.net/shop/catalog/privacy.php

Top Bottom