New member in Indy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sparks71

Greetings,
I picked up an older Record Power mini-lathe about a month ago. I have since turned out a couple dozen pens. Last week I had a notion of making my own acrylic pen blank. I used the directions found in the site library and watched some youtube videos. I used PR from Michaels and a pressure pot. After creating some horribly failed experiments I finally came up with this guy.
I am open to advise on how I can make it better. Its hard to see but there are tiny bubbles (not a lot but enough to notice if you really look). I had them in my pressure pot for an hour at 60lb. Should I go longer?
Its all new to me. Great tutorials in the library!

Attachments

• pen1a.jpg
    pen1a.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 165
  • pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 137
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sparks71

I thought I was supposed to use a pressure pot? I guess I have some more learning to do. Whats a good use for the pressure pot then?
I am putting together parts for a vacuum chamber. I need to get a pump.

I do plan on attending the meeting saturday. I am excited to see what it is all about.

turncrazy43

Shawn, welcome to the forum and the addiction. Pressure pots are best adapted to casting with alumilite. Save your pot you may try alumilite in the future. Happy turning.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome from south of Beech Grove Shawn. Nice job on the pen. My opinion is to use up your Michaels resin then switch to Alumalite. You probably didn't get to the threads about Michaels resin. But, hey great effort. Keep your pressure pot. See you at the meeting.:wink:

Top Bottom