New member from Indiana

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimSwift

Greetings all

I have been a lurker on IAP for quite some time so I thought now would be as good a time as any to join and introduce myself.
My name is Jim Swift and I currently live in East-Central Indiana(1 hour east of Indy). Wife & I are owners/operators of a campground therefore have lots of time in winter to enjoy penturning and other types of turning/woodworking.
Have been a flat woodworker for many years and have enjoyed that. Thought it was time to try turning. Taken a few classes at the local Woodcraft store in Indy and as Paul Harvey says...you know the rest of the story.
Purchased a Jet mini last winter and had some major blowouts while drilling and squaring the pen blanks but got that problem solved however I didn't really have time to indulge like I wanted to. This winter I really got into penturning and have truly enjoyed it. Might have to get another job to 'support my habit'. Turned 100+ pens this winter, mostly acrylic,(can't seem to get the CA process down pat yet). Sold around 15 or so and have given 30-40 as Christmas gifts to family & friends. Everyone just loves the pens with different colors of acrylic all shined and polished up.
Have tried , with varying degrees of success, laminating blanks with pickguard, aluminum, brass, celtic knots etc. Looks promising with more practice. Wish I could get that CA down. Would like to work more on wood pens as I have arounr 40-50 blanks ready to go but don't want to ruin $6-$9 blanks on practicing. So in the meantime I'll stick with turning poplar/maple scraps till my finishing skills get better.
I hate to type cause I can't very well so I'll stop here and say THANK YOU ALL for all the time spent here and at other forums helping me and others improve our turning skills.

Jim Swift

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Jim !! Where's that campground ? Keep working with that CA . Practice , practice , practice ! Have you watched the videos in the Library ? [8D]

IPD_Mrs

Jim,
Welcome aboard! We are about 1-1/2 hours west of you. Sounds like you are around New Castle. Don't understand why nobody wants to camp in Indiana in the winter. :D

CA finishes: If you make it to WoodCraft then you should go the extra four miles to Rockler behind Castleton Mall. Go on a Saturday when when they are having a Pen Turning Demo. The guy that does the demo is Bill Betag and is a member here, although he rarely posts. Watch him do a finish or two and you should have no problem. Make sure your CA is fresh and keep your micro mesh clean. Also use a light touch with the mesh so that you do not sand through it. The next trick is the polish such as Novus and a soft cotton lint free rag to apply it with. There are many tricks and countless variations to doing CA. Read through the Finishing threads and you should be fine.
When you use up all of your blanks look for Nolan (n4631x) on here or his web site at: http://www.harrisburlsupply.com . The quality, variety and price is better than anything we have around here.

Again, Welcome Aboard,
Mike & Linda

johnnycnc

Welcome,Jim!
We're in south central Indiana,and
the IAP has been the greatest place to visit.
I hope you enjoy it here,and post some pictures.:D

JimSwift

Originally posted by alamocdc

Welcome from another neighbor, Jim. So how much time do you spend at Frank Miller Lumber?:D

Gosh!!! Was just there the other day and walked out without spending too much. Wife didn't even give me that 'look' when I told her how much I spent.

The ultimate candy store for flat woodworkers.

Jim Swift

Abrock75

Welcome from Baltimore MAryland, It took me a while to get the CA down to but I use the BLO Ca method. Works for me even though people here have mixed emotions on the topic. Welcome to the addiction.

Aaron[:p]

Top Bottom