New Member From GA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dirtbmw20

Hello all, my name is Lee and I am from Augusta, Georgia. I do pool cue repairs and build pool cues on the side as a hobby and started turning pens several years ago when our kids were born and couldn't focus ALL my time on pool cues and wanted small projects to do. My equipment consists of two Mid America pool cue lathes and one Jet 12X21 wood lathe, all used for various operations. ALL my blanks are turned between centers on my pool cue lathe with a router to round and then after round, they are put on the wood lathe for profiling with hand tools. I look forward to searching the forums for my many unanswered questions, and also asking questions and possibly helping answer a few. Will post a few pics of my work and equipment when time allows.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Welcome to IAP, Lee !!!!! . Would love to see your machine set up, especially your pool cue lathes, please.

Dirtbmw20

Welcome to IAP, Lee !!!!! . Would love to see your machine set up, especially your pool cue lathes, please.
Thank you very much for the warm welcome Mal. Both my cue lathes are the EXACT same, here's a pic of the one IN my dining room ( wife is super happy about that ), other is in garage with all my other equipment.
d87a71d30ccb57c65897d5f08e7bf439.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dirtbmw20

I know most don't have this option, but I use my cue lathe to turn all my squares to round, even my pen blanks, makes it real quick and easy. Messy but easy. Since this pic was taken, I've fabbed up a temporary dust collection so it's not so messy in the house.
63d0ccd6f25b2950f5fca29305a1e1be.jpg

aa99ae098044a4d427f6c426c384ef11.jpg

f9e33afe2a8db573461a9615f8dee026.jpg

[emoji4]

More4dan

I turn my blanks round between centers too but using a metal lathe. It gives me a better view of the pattern in wood and acrylic to pick which end of the blank to use. Welcome from Katy, TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

Thanks for the photos, Lee !! . Looks like those are Taig lathes ... nice setup you have there. . Yes, I can tell it is your dining room and I full well know the feeling of your wife because I have taken over the kitchen table and some of the kitchen counter space !!!! . I do the rough turning outside though and I use a metal-working lathe for that.

I would like to make myself a router bracket like yours ... thanks for showing.

Last edited:

Dirtbmw20

Yes, the cue lathes are just Taig based lathes, nothing special except a longer bed and a bigger hole through headstock. I'd sure love to have me about a 36" or 40" metal lathe.

Top Bottom