New Member from Central Florida

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rogue_Runner

Hello all - Don here. I'm a new member from Central Florida and a beginner wood turner. Most of my woodworking is a hobby and is done when the fish are not running off of Florida's East coast (my other hobby). For the past two off season's I work on a grandfather clock for my wife, the building steps and results are shown here:

http://photobucket.com/dcurryclock

Now I'm looking towards developing some new skills with wood turning, specifically pen turning. I have a Jet Mini Lathe that I pick up a couple of years ago and will start off on it.

I have already learned a lot by the excellent threads on this site. I look forward to learning more.

Thanks to the contributors for creating one of the best forums that I have ever had the privilege of joining.

Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ironman123

Welcome to the forum Don, from Central Texas. Yes this the best pen forum on the netr. Lots of great and helpful people and tons of good information.

That is a very nice Grandfather Clock.

ironman123 (Ray)

ctubbs

Welcome Don, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/librar...en_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Have a look at the series of videos ed4copies has just posted showing how to complete a pen from drill to finish.

Charles

bruce119

Welcome Don

Sounds like your on the East side I'm on the West just above Tampa. I too do a lot of fishing. Water temps here are hitting that magic number 72-75.

Welcome to the site have fun!!!
Bruce

wood128

Welcome aboard Don. I am from Cocoa Beach , Florida . and am one of the wood vendors that provide solid wood and segmented pen blanks.IAP is a great group of very special people who enjoy woodworking and helping others. I enjoyed viewing your pictures of the construction of the grandfather clock. I helped my father make one many years ago. The redfishing and trout fishing is great here in the Indian River Lagoon . You are probably an offshore fisherman. Here a a picture of my last fishing trip.....March 15...13 reds to 30 pounds and two large trout. ALL RELEASED !!!!
Joe

Attachments

• fish picture 4.jpg
    fish picture 4.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 67
  • fish picture 2.jpg
    fish picture 2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 69
  • resized photo 4.jpg
    resized photo 4.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 98
Welcome Don. I've been doing this for just over a year. These guys are great to give help and suggestions. Enjoy the new hobby. (Side note- Wife and I usually come to your area once a year to visit "mouseland". Love the area.)

Top Bottom