New Member from Cameron, NC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WaltS

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum. I joined because I want to learn some new techniques, i.e., segmentation, finishing techniques, and how you price a pen for sale. I also need to be less critical of my work. I see flaws in almost every pen i create. But, nobody else can see them. I read recently from Barry Gross blog that some folks price this way: 3 x cost of pen kit + 5 x cost of blank +$20 (or $25) for cost of ancillary material and time. If you can answer these - great. I look forward to interacting with you online.

WaltS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Welcome to the forum. Pricing is a subject that is sometimes difficult to pinpoint. Others will be more helpful than me. I belong to a turning club and we have a member who sells about 250-300 pens a year. He told me that pricing is dependent on the market. Some places he can get $35 for a pen; another place he gets $25.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Walt. Lots of good advice on segmenting in many different forms here. Pricing is based on three primary considerations and many other lesser considerations. Those three: Quality of fit and finish; looks and Location, location, location.

I lived in Japan for many years, returning home (USA) in late 2010. In Japan, I could get $400 - $500 for a particular pen; in rural small town areas $75 - $100 tops.

jttheclockman

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum. I joined because I want to learn some new techniques, i.e., segmentation, finishing techniques, and how you price a pen for sale. I also need to be less critical of my work. I see flaws in almost every pen i create. But, nobody else can see them. I read recently from Barry Gross blog that some folks price this way: 3 x cost of pen kit + 5 x cost of blank +$20 (or $25) for cost of ancillary material and time. If you can answer these - great. I look forward to interacting with you online.

WaltS

Welcome and let me help This will get you started.

PRICING

http://www.penturners.org/forum/sea...nfo=1&photoplog_searchquery=pricing+your+pens

SEGMENTING

Segmenting - International Association of Penturners

FINISHING

Finishing - International Association of Penturners

Top Bottom