Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

manny1263

Hi Everybody:
My name is Manny and I just joined. I live in Minnesota. I was a senior executive for large retail company. I retired few years ago. Pen turning has been my hobby for the past several years.

I have learned a lot from IAP site and I like the community and the people. I hope I will be able to contribute to the future discussions.

I need your help. I just bout Gemstone Pen Blank from Arizona Silhouette. Can someone tell me what tool I need to turn this blank?

Thanks,
Manny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Hello!, Manny. Welcome to the Forum! Very glad to have you join in with us all. :D

I have yet to turn any of the gemstone so I can offer you no help. Maybe one day though ...

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Manny. Look forward to seeing your work. When turning various acrylics I sometimes use a flat file to knock the edges off. I just start the lathe and lay the file on the blank till the edges are gone and then switch to a gouge or a skew. I do this on snakeskin blanks everytime. Sharp tools and light strokes are the keys.

txbatons

Welcome, Manny, from Dallas. I'm about to head off to the workshop/garage and have about 4 layers of clothes and the heater going. It's in the 40s. I can't imagine the coldness in Minn!

Looking forward to seeing your work.

IPD_Mrs

Welcome Manny. Once you get the edges knocked off you should use a very sharp skew or even a spindle master would be good. But whatever you do just do it where it is warm.

Mike & Linda

Top Bottom