New from Maine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jtrusselle

Hi, my name is Jim and I'm a second generation pen turner. My Dad taught me a few years ago after he had been turning for ten years in his retirement from GE in Lynn, MA.

I love this site and wish I had found it when I first started turning. Oh, the mistakes I could have prevented... :embarrassed:

Just started turning wine stoppers. Any tips on how to prevent checking are much appreciated!

Jim
South Berwick, ME

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jtrusselle

Mark from Scotland - beautiful web site and awesome pens. My Dad's middle name is Sinclair and my great-great grandparents were James Sinclair and Ferguson Conqueror Sinclair from I believe Dundee. Thank you for the welcome from the home land!

jtrusselle

BB & Leap - good to hear that I not alone here in Maine! I don't know about you guys but I bought a new snowblower yesterday and have about a hundred blanks in stock. Gonna be a long winter...

jtrusselle

Hugbie - I've been in southern Maine since '85. The area has changed a lot since then. Portsmouth is really built up with a lot of resturants and businesses. The Yard is still very active and hopefully will stay that way for a while... many of my neighbors work there. I was in your neck of the woods two weeks ago. Spent a week in KC for business. I like that part of the country... nice people!

randyrls

Just started turning wine stoppers. Any tips on how to prevent checking are much appreciated!

Jim
South Berwick, ME

Jim; Wine stoppers must be completely dry before turning. Some woods are prone to checking. Avoid using the pith (center) in the wood. The cracks form around this.

There are several methods to making sure wood is dry; one method involves a microwave and scale to weigh the wood. Be cautious and read up on the method before trying it. You don't want to start a fire.

jtrusselle

Randyrls - thanks for the tip. I had a checking problem with olive wood but not birdseye maple burl. The burl is about 10 years old and dry as a bone yet the olive was recently purchased and sealed in wax. I'll be sure to check moisture content before cutting.

Top Bottom