New to the Hobby - Houston Area

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggie182

I wanted to make a quick intro post. I just ordered a starter set from PSI (https://www.pennstateind.com/store/KWL-10SSB.html) and look forward to it arriving. Hopefully this will get me going. In all honesty, I am a total idiot when it comes to all things mechanical so I have a lot to learn. I got the math gene in my family and my brother got the mechanical gene.

Fishing is my primary hobby and I do a lot of fly tying but I was looking for another hobby for around the house. I have a 6 year old and 4 year old. I am hoping my older one will take interest and this will be something I can teach him in a few years when he's ready and certainly hope my younger will be interested as well in a few years. I am located in Missouri City (Sienna Plantation) on the south side of Houston. I'm open to any and all advice, pointers, etc. to get started. If anyone in the area wants to get in to fly tying, I'd be happy to trade pointers, materials, and so forth, or just have a beer and chat about either craft.

I am a Registered Professional Land Surveyor by trade and work for a big multi-discipline engineering firm in town. As work duties have increased, the desire for a home based hobby increased as well. It's hard to break free for a few days to hunt, and as much as I love to fish, I don't fish too terribly much December-March.

I'm looking forward to learning and hopefully can create functional pens and pencils before too long.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RobS

Welcome to the addiction, I mean the hobby. You will have a lot of fun. I do recommend a class at Rockler or similar outfits in your area to get you going a little easier. Best of luck.

TonyL

Welcome! Looks like you will be well-equipped. It is nice to learn how to use HSS tools right away, but you may want to pick up a square and round carbide cutter chisel. I think Easy Wood Tools is have a sale on their 3 pack - there are other brands too. They may allow you to focus on pen turning as opposed to using and sharpening HSS tools - which is an excellent and many consider it a very desirable skill to have. Anyway, welcome, you are among friends and folks willing to help. Best to you.

JimB

Welcome from western New York State. That setup should get you started but you will need a way to sharpen your tools. Most tools are not as sharp as they should be when you get them.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome to IAP. I live in Alvin & work in Sugar Land, so we are practically neighbors. I don't have any interest in fly fishing, but I'm open to a get-together if you want to talk engineering, surveying or wood turning.

I'm a Professional Engineer and I did a little surveying work many years ago when PEs were allowed to do surveying without special surveying licenses. Times & laws have changed.

Welcome aboard
Edgar

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Welcome :biggrin:

If you combine your skill at fly-tying, you will make some amazing pens !!

A few of my top ever favourite pens were done by fly-tyers.

Use the search function and you will see...:wink:

I'll try and find a link but need to go out...

aggie182

I'm a Professional Engineer and I did a little surveying work many years ago when PEs were allowed to do surveying without special surveying licenses. Times & laws have changed.

Very cool. Did you get your RPLS with your PE? I am a fairly new RPLS. I focus a lot on education, etc. and teach some classes for CST and SIT prep. I am concerned that as a youngish surveyor, eventually laws will change and you will not need a signed and sealed survey for (non-cash) land transactions. Some of surveying is being replaced by the addition of GPS to construction equipment and they are calculating cut/fills on the fly (just one example). The RPLS club is dwindling with a solid 1/3 over 65 years old. Should make me more in demand, but if there get to be too few, other options will be explored and could possibly be put in to law.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Welcome to IAP.
I'm located in Pearland, a few miles up the road from Edgar. We need to get another Houston Area meeting together soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom