New guy from Saginaw Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

George417

I'm new here, but have been making pens mainly for Christmas gifts (people thought they were pure gold). Now I'm looking to start making more and trying to sell them, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

HowaC :):):)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
George, welcome to the IAP. There is an amazing amount of knowledge here for the taking.

I would suggest that you spend some time in our library as it is a treasure trove of information.

As to selling pens read through our Marketing and Shows forum for more information.

Again, welcome to the IAP.

writestuff

Howac!

I mostly give tham away, but foind that I ran out of friends and relatives after a two or three years. In looking for a place to retail them, I looked at several gift shops and finally found one that would take a few on consignment. it is one way to go, thouugh not without problems, (Inventory keeping mostly). But good luck with your enterprise. :)
WS

broitblat

Welcome.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of good ideas here for making and selling. Personally, I sell some things through a variety of spots on-line, through a few local retailers, and through referrals. I haven't ventured into the show circuit but that could be a better way to get "rid" of a bunch of items at one time.

-Barry

Daniel

Welcome George, sell them or give them away, you are in the right place. course the sellers will give you a hard time cause you make their job harder. Just kidding, lots of tips hints and outright advice on how to get it done. I always find that everyone wants my pens. the only issue with selling them one is if they want it bad enough. and there really are some things you can do to get them there. Pens will sell.

Rollerbob

George, glad to have you on board!! You might want to check out the North Texas Chapter by clicking on the local chapter tab at the top of this page. Thers is some rumbling about another get together!!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome George! Great to have you here. Join in the fun and post some picts of your work.

Below are links to three threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

This link to another PDF file gives most of the Acryonyms we use. They are just about as effective as learning Texas speak before going to Texas. :rolleyes: :biggrin: Seriously, they are a big help!

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome from sunny southern California.

Better start picking up all those pennies on the ground. You'll be needing alot of them.

Sometime you can work out a place for consignment. Sometime you can set up a table at an Art & Craft show. There are opportunities.

Top Bottom