New guy from MI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike Davis

Howdy folks. I am a tattoo artist/knife maker and am looking at getting into making some pens. I am very green at this and found this site through a link to some Blackwood burl lol. I am looking to expand my abilities, and look forward to making new friends.

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Welcome Mike, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/librar...en_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Have a look at the series of videos ed4copies has just posted showing how to complete a pen from drill to finish.

Charles

Welcome, Mike. Currently living in Webberville (about 20 mi E of Lansing) but lived in Jackson back when.... Careful turning pens, though, it's rather addictive. Some folk here call this the "Vortex".

Mike Davis

Thanks for the welcome guys!!! I am slowly aquiring wood for pens....I have about 2500 lbs :) I am going to spend some time reading tutorials, and maybe get a pen done in a week or so.

snyiper

Welcome to the Vortex Mike glad to have you aboard!!! We will share all the pen info you can stand, some of us may even tap you for some knife info...LOL I am very green in that area.

JohnR06

Hey Mike,
Welcome to the group! Nice to see some Jackson folk here. My family is originally from Jackson.
Good luck!!

turningfish

Welcome Mike. If you want to learn about pen making , this is the place. You'll get a lot of info. here. I know I have.

Mike Davis

Bummer, i missed out. I have been pretty busy in the shop finishing a few knife orders, but i did manage to cut out some pen blanks, and get my lathe tuned in pretty well. Good to see a strong Michigan base :) Lee, i will make it to the next one for sure!!! And Rich, i frequent Allendale, as my wife's grandparents live there.

Top Bottom