New guy looking around for info and opinions!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GrantH

I've been researching for a week or so now on what exactly to buy for getting started in turning. I'm not focused on pens alone, though I feel that it's my gate way to beginning.

I've compiled a list of what I think is most of what I need aside from abrasives and polishes. I think I will keep the CA finish as primary and possibly cover that with carnuba if it's called for. Abrasives are on the list, though only up to 600. Not sure if I need micro mesh or not, so that's my main lacking point I believe.

Can someone double check my list without saying "you should get the variable speed model"?

Equipment Source Price
JET 1014I Amazon 343.99
HF Tool Set Amazon 67.99
60° Live Center Amazon 14.41
Uvex S8510 Shield Amazon 34.98
Carrera CD9806-TF Calipers Amazon 26.26
#2 MT Pen Mandrel WoodTurningz 16.95
TM32KL PSI Drill Chuck Amazon 27.36
Nova G3-D Chuck Ebay 126.99
Total 658.93

Materials
154 lot of Poplar Blanks Ebay 17.45
(10) 24kt gold Slimline WoodTurningz 17.00
(5) Antique Brass Slimline WoodTurningz 11.25
5 Roll Sand Paper Set WoodTurningz 19.95
Total 65.65

Full Total 724.58

I may go with the G3 that has the pin jaws included for a few extra bucks. That's really the only major change. I chose the poplar blanks as I plan to simply throw away a LOT of wood from learning. It's cheap.

tim self

A very nice list. Since you may wanna turn other things I'd consider a VS lathe. A little extra control and convenience.

You may wanna pick up some 10" 7mm tubes as well. You realize you will probably throw away a few, may as well not use your pen tubes at the same time. That way you will be able to work at different lengths as well.

Lenny

One thing that I see missing is a way to trim your pen blanks ... such as a pen mill. Of course you could sand them instead. Purchase a set of punches (harbor freight or PSI/CSUSA etc.) for $20 (pen disassembly tools) and using the proper size mounted in your drill chuck on the tailstock end with a sanding disk mounted in your Nova chuck you would have a pretty effective way to trim blanks. For a better idea what I'm talking about, watch the videos by Curtis on mixing and using ALumilite. He uses a similar setup to trim his blanks in one of the videos.
The Jet is a good choice. You could spend more and get the Delta 46-460 but you could also look at the Rikon and possibly save a little bit. All have good reputations!

Last edited:

el_d

If you go with standard gouges and skew tool set you will need a way to resharpen.....

I would suggest the "Woodchuck" carbide insert tool. after cutting with a sharp insert you don't need anything for sanding lower than about 400.

Your Ca finish will need the micromesh for best results.

GrantH

I was curious on the barrel trimmers, so I had kept that in mind. At ~30 bucks, I think i'd rather buy the tool than rig up the punches and all.

I know I need a sharpening technique/system, and I know it's very important...I just don't have the budget at the moment. It's the first "next".

pinelumber

let's get it started

Rather than the Jet 1014 go to Harbor Freight and get the $299.00 special it has a 12" swing and is the same unit as a Jet 1236. I have one and turned pens and bowls with it for over a year before I stepped up to a Nova 1624. Good luck and enjoy turning!!

Dennis
Pine Lumber:bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
My thought is to look locally for lumber and cut it into pen blanks. The board foot price is cheaper. YOU wont ruin that many pen blanks. Oak is a great practice wood and looks really nice on a finished pen. You need finer grits than 600, down to 2000 would help or the micro mesh package. The carnuba wont be needed over c/a but a platic polish like hut or nova etc are useful for swirls left in the ca. I would consider a couple of the Sierrra/Wallstreet style kits as well. they are single barrel and easy to turn. great looking pens as well.

GrantH

My dad has a lot of fallen timber/lumber at his deer camp. I need to get a bandsaw at some point but lumber shouldn't be my biggest issue. I'll have access to oak, myrtle, dogwood, pine, and a few other species i'm not remembering at the moment. A charitable member of the forum has also offered me some walnut blanks through PM.

One question of gathering wood, this sits for a year or longer with sealed ends...correct? You do not want to turn green wood?

Grant- I was exactly where you are 1 year ago. I have now turned about 100 pens and have a set-up that I am comfortable with and is similar to what you have listed. It does everything I need. The ONE thing I wish I had done different.... variable speed model.

GrantH

There is no money in the budget for it, so you have to settle somewhere. I'd rather change belt position than have lesser quality equipment.

Live2Dive

I am at about 150 pens now, and I was in your exact place a year ago as well. I completely understand where you are coming from with respect to cash and purchasing equipment. BUT, if I had it to do over again, I would opt for the VS lathe. Changing the belts is a real PITA. I am now looking to either upgrade the motor ($100ish) or get a new lathe ($$$). If I could have spent the extra $50 to $75 then, I would have had an entire year of happy tuning and not have to upgrade/replace a year later.

Also, I am NOT at all happy with that sandpaper either. I much prefer the Norton sheets and cut them into 1" strips. The Norton sandpaper does not get clogged up as easily, and does not lose it's sanding grains. I tossed the rolls after it mucked up blank after blank.

Lastly, get a disassembly tool! I messed up half of the first dozen pens that could have been saved if I had the tool at the time.

MikeMcL

good advice here. I also upgraded to a VS lathe after a while, but its a jet 16-42EVS. that wouldnt work for you.

I will say that the $299 HF lathe isnt bad, and can regularly be had in the $199 range with coupons and sales. It is easy to get a 20% coupon for HF so you may save over buying the same tools at amazon. I have many tools and the $67 set you refer to are very good for the price.

I think you are well on the way. Best of luck.

Oh. Klingspor has boxes of endcuts and sandpaper by the pound really cheap. It is some of the best paper available. you can get a box of 30 pounds for about $20 if i remember right.

GrantH

Are the endcuts of their paper through their online site or another source? Do I want their "Y Weight" paper? I see their micro mesh is cheaper, but not sure about what to look at for sheet paper on the site.

Last edited:

PenPal

Grant to give you a head start in kits look for the Streamline centre bands that will allow you a fatter pen, ie the centre band fits but has a larger diameter. After fifteen yrs plus I still use Slimlines with the larger Streamline Centre bands. If you turn a Slimline straight and slim it only has a thin wood covering the brass insert, if you taper in to the nib and top and centre it is interesting and highly acceptable to people sometimes referred to as wasp waisted shape. Variety being the SPICE of will allow you to establish your own style.

Have success,

Kind regards

Peter.

Lenny

I like the 3" x 4" micro mesh pads for sanding CA finish and acrylics/pr resin blanks. Cut them in half and put one set aside for when the first wears out.

Grant- Please listen to those that have made the mistake before. $50-$75 more for VS. Forgo the shield and just use glasses or something but go ahead and get the VS. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!

GrantH

Richard, i've looked at it multiple ways in a spreadsheet (makes it easy to adjust) and I can get around the same price if I lose the calipers, the face shield, and get a 20% off coupon for the tools at Harbor Freight. I know it's "only" 70 bucks, but i'm at the top of my budget so it's either accept the short comings of the belt adjust machine, or lose a few items to gain the variable speed option.

It's similar to beer brewing, another hobby of mine. You "can" use a line pinch when filling bottles...but it's easier (by just a little) to bottle with a siphon and bottle filler. I'm trying to figure it out. The chuck threw a wrench in the upgrade but I need it as to avoid buying an expensive drill press at the moment.

That being said, is the Rikon any less quality than the Jet? Their VS model is only like 350 I think. I want quality, long lasting stuff though, not something I will replace because it's falling apart in 2 or 3 years.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the Rikon but I'm sure others on here will chime in about that. But I would forego the items you listed to get the VS. Calipers are nice but not necessary to begin with ( your bushings will give you the size you need). PLUS you might try negotiating the JET price at any local stores like Woodcraft.

GrantH

There is nothing (store wise) local to me. I looked on the JET site for local resellers and the closest is 90 miles away. They are the prices they are right now because of a 20% discount from Jet right now as well. I don't know if that's marketing or not, but it ends in a week.

BSea

I've been researching for a week or so now on what exactly to buy for getting started in turning. I'm not focused on pens alone, though I feel that it's my gate way to beginning.

I've compiled a list of what I think is most of what I need aside from abrasives and polishes. I think I will keep the CA finish as primary and possibly cover that with carnuba if it's called for. Abrasives are on the list, though only up to 600. Not sure if I need micro mesh or not, so that's my main lacking point I believe.

Can someone double check my list without saying "you should get the variable speed model"?

Equipment Source Price
JET 1014I Amazon 343.99
HF Tool Set Amazon 67.99
60° Live Center Amazon 14.41
Uvex S8510 Shield Amazon 34.98
Carrera CD9806-TF Calipers Amazon 26.26
#2 MT Pen Mandrel WoodTurningz 16.95
TM32KL PSI Drill Chuck Amazon 27.36
Nova G3-D Chuck Ebay 126.99
Total 658.93

Materials
154 lot of Poplar Blanks Ebay 17.45
(10) 24kt gold Slimline WoodTurningz 17.00
(5) Antique Brass Slimline WoodTurningz 11.25
5 Roll Sand Paper Set WoodTurningz 19.95
Total 65.65

Full Total 724.58

I may go with the G3 that has the pin jaws included for a few extra bucks. That's really the only major change. I chose the poplar blanks as I plan to simply throw away a LOT of wood from learning. It's cheap.
Ok, you asked us not to say "Get the VS Lathe". So I won't say it. However, I will type it. Get the VS lathe.:wink:

I bought several of the same things you did. Since you are on a tight budget, here's what I'd suggest.

1. Scratch the Nova chuck. Unless you really want to turn bowls and things larger than pens, you won't use it much. You'd be much better off with a collet chuck IMHO.

2. As others have said, get some safety glasses over a face shield unless you really want to turn larger items.

3. Since you don't have a way to sharpen tools, get a carbide tool over the set. It will do many pens before you have to replace the insert.

4. Check with Woodturningz and see if they sell a starter set that includes the bushings & drill bit. Don't get too many slimlines to start. I bought about 20 slimline kits. I think I still have more than 10, and my son makes pens too. You may love them, and you can always buy more. But don't have your money tied up in too much inventory that you may never get to.

5. My guess is that you'll never turn more than a dozen or so of the poplar blanks. Sure they are ok for practice. But it's not like you need to do 20 practice pen blanks before you can turn a "REAL" pen. It really is easy to turn a decent pen your 1st time out. Besides, if you are like the rest of us, you'll soon have all kinds of wood that you will probably never get to.

Now having said all that, I'll make you a deal. I'll send you 5 slimlines and some pen blanks to get you started. Just pm me your shipping address. You won't even have to pay freight. But you need to do it no later than tomorrow. I'm going out of town for several weeks, and the only chance I'll have is to mail them no later than Saturday morning.

EDIT: Or I'll do it when I get back.

Last edited:

Lenny

While I have no experience with the Rikon it has a good reputation for quality and their support is among the best! Member Wolftat has done product testing for them I believe .... The bottom line is Rikon, Jet, Delta .... you won't go wrong! I had the Jet1014 and liked it. Did soon wish I had variable speed, though! Costs alot more to "upgrade" then to buy it the first time. I eventually sold my Jet and bought the Delta 46-460. It has more power and a very smooth variable speed with reverse.
Personally I would purchase a collet chuck instead of the Nova ... but that's because I do more pens than bowls. The collet chuck is much more useful for pens and cheaper at about $80. Just something else to consider. :)

GrantH

My plans are to get started with pens and move to rings and small mushrooms and boxes. I didn't mention it earlier as I figured I should be "pen specific" on this site. I had looks at the collet chucks but wasnt sure if/how they would work for boxes later down the road. If large enough I could mount to the face plate, but a chuck just seems far more secure.

I'm not sure how to look at the carbide tools, let alone how to tell good/vs bad on regular HSS tools haha. Where abouts down the road will I need to look at sharpening with the HF HSS tools? If it's a couple/few months then I can manage to get a system by then as I have a grinder at my grandma's i'm welcome to. All I would need is the grinding system...I think?

That being said, with my other plans, is there a single do-it-all tool in the carbide tools or am I better left where I have my tool choice? I appreciate everything all of you are telling me as well as those on WTR if you are over here as well. All the help is overwhelming when i'm used to critique on auto forums.

JimB

My plans are to get started with pens and move to rings and small mushrooms and boxes. I didn't mention it earlier as I figured I should be "pen specific" on this site. I had looks at the collet chucks but wasnt sure if/how they would work for boxes later down the road. If large enough I could mount to the face plate, but a chuck just seems far more secure.

I'm not sure how to look at the carbide tools, let alone how to tell good/vs bad on regular HSS tools haha. Where abouts down the road will I need to look at sharpening with the HF HSS tools? If it's a couple/few months then I can manage to get a system by then as I have a grinder at my grandma's i'm welcome to. All I would need is the grinding system...I think?

That being said, with my other plans, is there a single do-it-all tool in the carbide tools or am I better left where I have my tool choice? I appreciate everything all of you are telling me as well as those on WTR if you are over here as well. All the help is overwhelming when i'm used to critique on auto forums.

Sharpening HSS tools is an immediate need. Some need sharpening out of the box. Even during turning a single pen you may find the need to sharpen. Turning with dull tools is dangerous.

Gilrock

Darn you guys are messing up my world... I thought my lathe was variable speed because I can move the belt to change speeds...LOL.

FWIW....I've got the RIKON Mini Lathe Model 70-100 and I haven't been wishing for anything else. I kinda like moving the belt...you get pretty good at it...I've made speed changes in 5 seconds.

GrantH

I'm going to get the Rikon, I believe. A little larger, seemingly same quality, and same price as the Jet. I don't know that i'll ever turn a 16" anything...but i'll have to ability to.

GrantH

Alright guys, i'm ready to place my order and I hop on to the Amazon link through another woodturning site and I see the lathe I want for 80 dollars off. (Woohoo!) Then, I notice the model number. I may be a little off, but hopefully you guys can help.

The Rikon 12 x 16 model that is non-EVS is model number "#70-100. This one goes for 399.99. When I looked at the one I want, it is actually model number "#70-050VS" Both have the same specs, both 12x16 and 1/2 hp motor. The amazon description says 70-050 but the details say 1216. Is there a difference or did it simply go on sale through Amazon??

Ambidex

One more thing..and I'm a newbie...if you don't have local access to a kit store...try a few first and make sure to get good and addicted:), then order a crapload of kits..I first only got 2, then got ten more...my next order was for 40...and my next is gonna include at least 3-4 more kinds...not bored with slimlines yet but can see an opportunity for so,sooo many more ways to get rid of all this money:wink:...good luck and send pics..Geo

alphageek

Former Moderator
Alright guys, i'm ready to place my order and I hop on to the Amazon link through another woodturning site and I see the lathe I want for 80 dollars off. (Woohoo!) Then, I notice the model number. I may be a little off, but hopefully you guys can help.

The Rikon 12 x 16 model that is non-EVS is model number "#70-100. This one goes for 399.99. When I looked at the one I want, it is actually model number "#70-050VS" Both have the same specs, both 12x16 and 1/2 hp motor. The amazon description says 70-050 but the details say 1216. Is there a difference or did it simply go on sale through Amazon??

Remember the question at the top of your thread about not recommending Variable Speed? The VS model is that. If you can get the VS for less - jump on it! (which it looks like the VS is on sale, so go for it!)

Dean

MartinPens

You'll find infinite possibilities.... but I can't image turning wthout a variable speed. I would find other ways to trim and adjust so you can get a vs. Did I see a dedicated pen blank drilling chuck from penstate on your list? Its a great purchase.

GrantH

Remember the question at the top of your thread about not recommending Variable Speed? The VS model is that. If you can get the VS for less - jump on it! (which it looks like the VS is on sale, so go for it!)

Dean

I guess I should have been more clear in my wording. Is the 70-050VS the same as the 1216VS? I know I am going with a VS model, for sure. I guess I just don't understand why the same model lathe would have a difference in model number when the only difference is VS capabilities. I would think the difference would be the additioin of VS to make it 70-100VS? Making it 70-050 makes it seem like a lower quality model.

GrantH

One more thing..and I'm a newbie...if you don't have local access to a kit store...try a few first and make sure to get good and addicted:), then order a crapload of kits..I first only got 2, then got ten more...my next order was for 40...and my next is gonna include at least 3-4 more kinds...not bored with slimlines yet but can see an opportunity for so,sooo many more ways to get rid of all this money:wink:...good luck and send pics..Geo

I'm lucky enough to have had a member ship me a few slimlines to get started and I will venture into others as I advance. Great advice, thanks!

GrantH

You'll find infinite possibilities.... but I can't image turning wthout a variable speed. I would find other ways to trim and adjust so you can get a vs. Did I see a dedicated pen blank drilling chuck from penstate on your list? Its a great purchase.

You do not see one, as I was/am told/under the impression that the extra jaw sets in the G3 special will do just fine with drilling my blanks. If I find this to not be the case, I will go about buying a pen chuck. Thanks for the heads up.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I guess I should have been more clear in my wording. Is the 70-050VS the same as the 1216VS? I know I am going with a VS model, for sure. I guess I just don't understand why the same model lathe would have a difference in model number when the only difference is VS capabilities. I would think the difference would be the additioin of VS to make it 70-100VS? Making it 70-050 makes it seem like a lower quality model.

Looks like there is the 70-050 and 70-050vs... then here is the 70-100 and the 70-200vs.

Looking for the differences I found this thread:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73097

Looks like the big difference between the 050 models and the others is the 050 has a lighter bed and can't go as slow as the other series.

But all in all, a good lathe .. Unless you KNOW you are going to turn larger objects (hollow forms, etc).. I'd go for the 70-050vs in my opinion. It is still a 12x16 lathe.

GrantH

They must not make a 100VS then. It seems the 050VS is a middle-man between the 100 and the 200VS or something? From the Amazon list for the 050VS it says "Your choice of three speed ranges (300-700, 700-1500, 1500-3350)" So it seems the slowest the 050VS can go is ~300rpm. I don't see weight as a huge problem as it's going to be bolted down with through-bolts on a table top with cement bags on the lower shelf of the table.

Looks like you don't lose anything from the 100 standard to the 050VS at all...

alphageek

Former Moderator
My gut says their "ordering" is:
050vs
200vs

But in general, If it were me today ... the 050 vs would be my choice even without the sale. With the sale, to me its a simple answer! (Take all of this with a grain of salt. I have a non-VS Jet, but I hope to get a 2nd lathe at some point and the 2nd one WILL be VS.

GrantH

My gut says their "ordering" is:
050vs
200vs

That sounds about right. I like the fact that the 050VS goes down to 300rpm the most to be quite honest. 700 seems to be a bit fast for sanding purposes from my reading, but i've yet to do any turning so I very well may be wrong. The option to go slower surely can't be a bad thing.

PenMan1

Grant:
If you change out the calipers that you have listed and buy two sets of the $15 HF calipers and (make 2 trips) using the 20% off coupon for the cutting tools on one trip and another 20% off on the calipers, you have just found the money needed to upgrade to the 1014 VSI (the little workhorse of the industry).

Nice calipers are just that.....nice. On the first drop to concrete, you'll have wished for the cheaper sets!

GrantH

Grant:
If you change out the calipers that you have listed and buy two sets of the $15 HF calipers and (make 2 trips) using the 20% off coupon for the cutting tools on one trip and another 20% off on the calipers, you have just found the money needed to upgrade to the 1014 VSI (the little workhorse of the industry).

Nice calipers are just that.....nice. On the first drop to concrete, you'll have wished for the cheaper sets!

I actually did just that a week ago. A coupon in my hand with tools, and a coupon in my moms hand with the calipers. Easy as pie. One trip :).

I am looking at the Rikon above the Jet now though, simply for size. Both hold a 5 year warranty and I have zero dealers around me so that makes no difference in the purchase.

Top Bottom