New guy from Lago Vista, Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikefoye

I am brand new to pen turning. Just finished my first pen, a Toni Twist. Turned out okay but I have a lot to learn. I do have a question. When I got to final assembly the parts were slippery in the brass tubes. I could push pieces in by hand. The transmission is not in tight. I just put a spot of epoxy on it and also on the top clip to hopefully hold them in place. I used the correct bit, etc. and the tubes were very well seated. What might I have done wrong?

This is going to be a lot of fun and great Christmas presents for the kids and grandkids.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
First, welcome from Pearland.
As for what you did wrong, probably nothing. Every once in a while I have a pen that does not fit tight. I use blue Loctite to glue the parts in. The pen is easier to disassemble if Blue Loctite is used in stead of epoxy or CA.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Alvin!

Ditto on what Mannie said. Manufacturing tolerances on most kit parts are such that sometimes parts fit a little loose or snug. Slightly loose parts can be handled per Mannie's suggestions. If parts fit a little tight though, you need to press slowly & carefully to avoid cracking a blank. You might even need to sand the inside of the tubes for a quarter inch or so at each end in such cases.

Welcome! Try other kits to see if you have the same issue. There are variances. Also, as stated, lightly sand tube. I guess it is part of the learning curve and before you know it, you will have this down. Keep turning. The folks on your Christmas list will treasure these gifts.

rockb

Hey Mike, welcome from California to IAP. Lots of really smart guys here...lots of good wood too. You'll like it. : )
Rocky

Jack Parker

Welcome from Las Vegas!

Like Monty said, a couple dots of blue Loctite will fix you right up. You will run into loose fits on components from time to time, some turners will sand to adjust the fit of components to a slip fit and then glue the pieces together. This will reduce the risk of cracking blanks as pieces are pressed together. Good Luck and Happy Turning, it's lots of fun and there is a ton to learn.

Top Bottom