New guy here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

intillzah

And I really don't have a clue where to start, I know that I'm interested. I have no tools or wood yet. But I'm here to learn all I can from those who know. I may have some stupid questions, so please bear with me. I'm learning... But a machinist background really doesn't seem to help.

But I'm glad that I'm here...

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Welcome Mike! The only stupid questions are the one's you don't ask. Go to the library FIRST and if you still can't find an answer then BY ALL MEANS ask away! I disagree that a machinists background wouldn't help. I'm a tin bender from way back and I think that any kind of a trades background where you use tools and solve problems every day gives you a leg up. Have fun!

jhs494

Welcome Mike,
Once you have checked the library section and read and watch some of the videos you will have a pretty good idea of where to begin.
There is also DVD that you can look for that can help, I liked watching Kip and Rex. They help when you are starting out.
Enjoy.

scotirish

Welcome, Mike! Be careful as the "Turning bug" will bit you and you will pass everything, well almost everything, to stand in front of the lathe an make pens. Just a hint, if you wife asks weather you would rather turn pens or be with her; say: "with you darling, of course". Don't let her see your crossed fingers behind your back. Just kidding, pen turning is a great way to relax and bring great enjoyment to life.

txbatons

Welcome, Mike. Where are you from? There may be folks near you who wouldn't mind helping you out. Change that...if there are folks near you they WILL help you out! That's the great thing about IAP!

TBone

Welcome to the addiction Mike. I agree that your machinist background will help more than you think it will. You don't need tools or wood to start...........you just need $$$$, We'll be glad to help you spend some/all of it. There's even some guys around named Ed that will sell you some plastic to turn. [:D][}:)][:D]

drayman

welcome mike, it may be cold outside, but its lovely and warm in here. and the guys n gals are too.

England14

Welcome Mike. You will find that machinist background to be very useful as you slide down the slope. Just remember when you are working with wood and when you are working with metal! [:)]

Randy_

Originally posted by intillzah
<br />.....But a machinist background really doesn't seem to help.

But I'm glad that I'm here...

Mike

Welcome, Mike. After you get into it a little deeper, your backgrouind will be a big hel[p!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom