New guy from Delaware.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skeels

As the title says... I'm the new guy from good ol' Delaware. All though a new member of the iap, I'm definitely not new to the site. I've been lurking for quite a while and just had to join. Quick bit about myself... Names JR Skeels. I love in Lincoln, delaware and have been stuck, I mean lived, I'm de all my life. I'm a welder by trade and I've been a member of the Air Force reserve stationed at dover afb workin on my baby (the C-5) for goin on 6 years now. My wood workin experience goes back about 12 years and have done just about anything wood related, not to any kind of expert scale but enough to make it look good. I started workin with the wood lathe back in high school and am having serious trouble figuring out jt it's takin so long to get into pen making... It's an addiction, not that I have to tell you guys.
I'm gonna e exploring the site so I don't post anything in the wrong areas then plan on goin on a post spree. Look forward to hearin from u guys and learnin more than I all ready have from u all!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Welcome to the site and hope you do stick around and jump in. I did the same thing when I joined 11 years ago. Lurked for awhile then had to jump in because it looked fun. Hope we get a chance to see some of your work. Do not worry about doing spectacular photos. Make them a good size and somewhat good quality. Any questions just ask. There is a thread here about new members joining and getting a chance to win a prize or something. Someone will jump in and tell you about it. Good luck and look forward to seeing what you got. :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas, JR -'and thanks for your service.

Like John mentioned, we have a couple of prize drawings each month for our new members. You are already in the July Introductions drawing just for making this post. If you post a pen photo in the Show Off Your Pens forum within 60 days of joining, that will get you into another drawing.

I'd like to see some photos of that plane too - the Casual Conversation forum would be a good place for that.

Skeels

Welcome from Texas, JR -'and thanks for your service.

Like John mentioned, we have a couple of prize drawings each month for our new members. You are already in the July Introductions drawing just for making this post. If you post a pen photo in the Show Off Your Pens forum within 60 days of joining, that will get you into another drawing.

I'd like to see some photos of that plane too - the Casual Conversation forum would be a good place for that.

Did not know tgat, thanks for that bit of info lol. I actually have a few pics I wanted to put up but haven't hit around to it. I have two cigars I'm pretty proud of, one made of red oak that I torched and another that I cast using alumilite with some blue pearl tint and dunked some sweet gun balls in it. They turned out amazing. Hope to have an elk antler done this morning as well. As far as the plane pic... I'll see what I can do. Not allowed to take pics on the flight line for security reasons... My wife however got an amazing shot of ol' Fred commin in for a landing. Worse case I'll stop by the Museum and get a pic of the last a-model. I remember when she flew in to be put up for show.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
As the title says... I'm the new guy from good ol' Delaware. All though a new member of the iap, I'm definitely not new to the site. I've been lurking for quite a while and just had to join. Quick bit about myself... Names JR Skeels. I love in Lincoln, delaware and have been stuck, I mean lived, I'm de all my life. I'm a welder by trade and I've been a member of the Air Force reserve stationed at dover afb workin on my baby (the C-5) for goin on 6 years now. My wood workin experience goes back about 12 years and have done just about anything wood related, not to any kind of expert scale but enough to make it look good. I started workin with the wood lathe back in high school and am having serious trouble figuring out jt it's takin so long to get into pen making... It's an addiction, not that I have to tell you guys.
I'm gonna e exploring the site so I don't post anything in the wrong areas then plan on goin on a post spree. Look forward to hearin from u guys and learnin more than I all ready have from u all!
My next door neighbor's son flew C-5s and at one time commanded the C-5 Wing at Dover AFB and was very highly involved in the creation of the Air Museum there. When he was there while not officially the Base Commander, the Wing Commander was de facto Base Commander because virtually all of the personnel were attached to the Air Wing. That was probably about 20 (maybe 25) years ago.

Skeels

My next door neighbor's son flew C-5s and at one time commanded the C-5 Wing at Dover AFB and was very highly involved in the creation of the Air Museum there. When he was there while not officially the Base Commander, the Wing Commander was de facto Base Commander because virtually all of the personnel were attached to the Air Wing. That was probably about 20 (maybe 25) years ago.

That's awesome! He MAY know my dad. He was pretty well known there. When he started workin on the base he was a c5 mechanic like myself, then crossed over to become a crew chief. Did the FCC thing for a while then back to a crew chief. All of the people I work for told me te first day I started I had big shoes to fill. All the guys I work for worked for him over 20 years ago lol. Kinda cool I think.
I love that muesem. We got out first c5 there not too long ago... Maybe a year or two ago. My dad used to take me an my brother there all the time... Back when it first opened and was just the building and a couple planes inside. Now it's got multiple planes outside, the original building with more planes, even has and "engine barn" with my beloved tf39. If we weren't on te flight line with him we were at that muesem. Kinda surprised my bro went Corps and not AF lol.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

That's awesome! He MAY know my dad. He was pretty well known there. When he started workin on the base he was a c5 mechanic like myself, then crossed over to become a crew chief. Did the FCC thing for a while then back to a crew chief. All of the people I work for told me te first day I started I had big shoes to fill. All the guys I work for worked for him over 20 years ago lol. Kinda cool I think.
I love that muesem. We got out first c5 there not too long ago... Maybe a year or two ago. My dad used to take me an my brother there all the time... Back when it first opened and was just the building and a couple planes inside. Now it's got multiple planes outside, the original building with more planes, even has and "engine barn" with my beloved tf39. If we weren't on te flight line with him we were at that muesem. Kinda surprised my bro went Corps and not AF lol.
My neighbors son is Lt. Gen William Welser III USAF (ret) He commanded August 1992 - July 1994, Commander, 436th Airlift Wing, Dover AFB, Del. BTW there was a very serious crash landing at Dover 3 April 2006, C-5B 84-0059 crashed following a cockpit indication that a thrust reverser was not locked. The plane was almost a total loss but the Crew all survived. I attended Church and served as director of a local charity with the Pilot's father who was also retired USAF. I haven't been to the Air Museum for about two years when my neighbor had a 90th Birthday celebration there. EDIT IN: Almost forgot I saw the nose section of one of the first C-5 planes long before it flew for the first time. I was working for IBM at the time and we delivered a system 360 mod 40 to the building where the plane was built in about 1965 or 1966 while we were there we were given a tour of the building where the planes were being made and they had one of the first nose sections under construction at the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom