New Guy on the Block

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Just wanted to introduce myself. As the name implies my name is Dave and I live in Atascadero California. I have never turned anything a day in my life however I have a big lathe in my garage that I picked up from a friend that said he had turned table legs on. I will be honest since I have no experience on lathes whatsoever without some kind of training it scares the poop out of me. My interests as far as the lathe is conserned are turning pens and shakers pretty much small stuff as space is limited. I want to get a new lathe and sell the one I have again its a space issue. I currently have about 200. that I can alocate to a lathe. So my first of many questions to you fine folks is What would you recommend? Should I keep saving? What is a good lathe in my price range? Who or what should I stay away from?
While I am new to turning I have been cutting portraits into wood with 16" Delta Scroll Saw for several years now. I have cut christmas ornaments and other misc. items. I will post a couple pics of the lathe that I currently have when I figure out what I did with my camera bag after the 4th of July Parade today :(
See ya all later,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cowchaser

Welcome. Don't let the lathe scare you. Just respect what it is and could do if used incorrectly, but that goes with any tool. Make sure to use the correct tools and always watch what you are doing and don't get a wondering mind while using it.

I don't really know what is out there for 200, but I assume you could pick up a used rikon or jet mini fairly close to that price. I am currently Jet biased, but hear good things about the Rikon. Not sure about the others. Might check craigslist for your area. I bet one will show up on there.

pentex

Welcome from Texas. PSI has a good deal on their lathe. Get the VS. Also check on Amazon.com. Tey have good deals and free shipping.

Hey Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I appreciate all the advice regarding which Lathe to get. Here is some pics of the one that I have currently. Like I said I have no training on it, not even a video so I am abit afeared of it to be honest LOL. This is a bit big for my small area which is why I want to down size it. Anywho here it is in all its glory. I dont know if it was a kit or what but the only ID on it is on the motor and it says its a GE

20087643750_Lathe-motor.jpg

2008764390_Lathe-right-side.jpg

20087643945_Lathe-knives.jpg

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Dave!
I've been to Atascadero. Beautiful country up there. I'm in Riverside, CA.

I bought a Jet Mini Variable Speed when I started out. Got it on sale for around $200 at a local Rockler Store.
Good luck on your search.

markgum

Welcome Dave. Keep your eye on e-bay I picked up a brand new still in the box Jet mini lathe for $185. yeah; in the right place at the right time. Welcome to the addiction.

Top Bottom