New Guy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

USMCCpl

Welcome from Louisiana. PM me an address and I will be happy to ship out a box of pen blanks and some Euro kits that I am never going to use. I might have some other things to fill the box with too.

FYI I was a Sailor and a Soldier in the 70s and 80s. DAV now. We gotta stick together brother cause we are all on the same side.

Thank You for the welcome. Semper Fi, Thank you for your Service.
I will PM you as soon as i find the time.
Thank you

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
As a teacher, I can tell you that I'd be quite happy if she turned in that bowl.

I don't think she needs to learn to turn everything in the world - it's more of a 'learn how to do something on your own, and show what you learned' idea. I would be very surprised if your school expects you to purchase/procure that much.... Sure some will go overboard, but you should find out what the core of the assignment is before you go any further.

Being pass/fail, have you spoken with her teacher to see what the success criteria is for this assignment? Perhaps if she just learned to turn a few things, using items you already have, you'd be in a much more feasible situation?

USMCCpl

As a teacher, I can tell you that I'd be quite happy if she turned in that bowl.

I don't think she needs to learn to turn everything in the world - it's more of a 'learn how to do something on your own, and show what you learned' idea. I would be very surprised if your school expects you to purchase/procure that much.... Sure some will go overboard, but you should find out what the core of the assignment is before you go any further.

Being pass/fail, have you spoken with her teacher to see what the success criteria is for this assignment? Perhaps if she just learned to turn a few things, using items you already have, you'd be in a much more feasible situation?

I was a mentor last year on a senior project on maple sugaring. Over 10k was spent, i got alot of donations from alot of companies for the project so it was only 3k out of pocket for the family.
I have to talk to them in a week or two to turn in her hours. It will be the same as the one i did last year. But i will double check..
I agree with you on not turning everything in the world. I told her to pick three or four things to do. Bowl, natural edge bowl, pen and bottle stopper. The other night after her interweb search she wanted me to get stuff to make blanks, i about fell over. No was the answer.
The schools tells them to ask for donations. But will not give them any official leter head or anything. I am not so sure why. Last year a kid built an all concrete hot tub, formed it up, plumb it upn and had a concrete company donate two truck loads of crete to his project. It was a built in permanent structure at his parents house. Free, totally free. Got all plumbing, forms, wiring, and crete free, all donations.

Last edited:

USMCCpl

Update on Thank You list again.

Thank you to:

EasyWood Tools (50% off a one time order)

Gorilla Glue (2 bottles of CA Glue)

Daddy Van's (5oz jar of beeswax)

FastCap (2p-10 finishing kit)

Novus (3 step finishing kit)

Century Tree Turnings (large box of wood blanks)

Clifford D Souza from HI (large box of KOA blanks, and 3 turning tools)

Chefwarekits ( 1 large wood blank, 2 bottle stopper blanks, 1 spectraply pen sampler pack, 1 acrylic blank, 1 magnify glass kit, 1 letter opener kit, 1 salt mill 12", 1 salt shaker kit, 1 pizza cutter kit, 1 cork bottle stopper kit, 1 bottle opener kit, 1 ice cream scoop kit, and one dvd)

Dave form Home (Two $10 gift certificates to CSUSA)

Screw Wax (Carnauba wax)

ATV TEK (washable dust mask)

CSUSA (15% off one time order)

And to those of you whom wish to remain anonymous, Thank You as well.

USMCCpl

Thank you to:

Chefwarekits ( 1 large wood blank, 2 bottle stopper blanks, 1 spectraply pen sampler pack, 1 acrylic blank, 1 magnify glass kit, 1 letter opener kit, 1 salt mill 12", 1 salt shaker kit, 1 pizza cutter kit, 1 cork bottle stopper kit, 1 bottle opener kit, 1 ice cream scoop kit, and one dvd)

Screw Wax (Carnauba wax)

Woodturningz.com (10% off one time order)

Last edited:

nativewooder

Retired from pen and woodturning, but the first thing you must do for your sister would be to purchase a book on woodturning fundamentals. Usually about $20. It is a learning and teaching book, of which there are at least two. The two of you need to learn fundamentals and safety BEFORE the accident, not after. Then you will be ready to start spending lots of money on tools and kits, preferably through Vendors here on IAP, since they can be trusted to have good prices and guarantees. Welcome from Fort Pierce, Fl.

USMCCpl

Retired from pen and woodturning, but the first thing you must do for your sister would be to purchase a book on woodturning fundamentals. Usually about $20. It is a learning and teaching book, of which there are at least two. The two of you need to learn fundamentals and safety BEFORE the accident, not after. Then you will be ready to start spending lots of money on tools and kits, preferably through Vendors here on IAP, since they can be trusted to have good prices and guarantees. Welcome from Fort Pierce, Fl.

Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving,
She has alot of books on turning, my wife made sure of that. She also had lots of tips on safety at the craftsmans fair last year. She spent 3 out of 5 days at the woodturners tent. Turning like a mad, crazy little gril. She actually went to a class somewhere in vermont for a day. She is very much into safety. She ties her hair up, takes off her jewelry, keeps the rest very close to her work, only uses paper towel, no loose clothing. Wife and I are out of funds now. With all the discount offers we blew right threw our savings account. I honestly hppe she has what she needs now.
Thank you and have a Happy Thanksgiving

USMCCpl

Thank you to:

Screw Wax (Carnauba wax)

Schaller Inc. (ScrewWax) (1 4oz carnauba flake wax, 1.35oz can screwwax, three .75Oz cans screwwax, 3 bars carnauba wax, four .1oz packets screwwax)

USMCCpl

Thank you to:

Screw Wax (Carnauba wax)

Schaller Inc. (ScrewWax) (1 4oz carnauba flake wax, 1.35oz can screwwax, three .75Oz cans screwwax, 3 bars carnauba wax, four .1oz packets screwwax)

Micro-Surface Finishing Products INC. (Micro-Mesh Finishing Kit)

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

I was a mentor last year on a senior project on maple sugaring. Over 10k was spent, i got alot of donations from alot of companies for the project so it was only 3k out of pocket for the family.
I have to talk to them in a week or two to turn in her hours. It will be the same as the one i did last year. But i will double check..
I agree with you on not turning everything in the world. I told her to pick three or four things to do. Bowl, natural edge bowl, pen and bottle stopper. The other night after her interweb search she wanted me to get stuff to make blanks, i about fell over. No was the answer.
The schools tells them to ask for donations. But will not give them any official leter head or anything. I am not so sure why. Last year a kid built an all concrete hot tub, formed it up, plumb it upn and had a concrete company donate two truck loads of crete to his project. It was a built in permanent structure at his parents house. Free, totally free. Got all plumbing, forms, wiring, and crete free, all donations.

Wow, that's pretty cool. Around here even the small batch mixers are 5 cu. yd, so a couple truckloads is a lot of mud!

It's a shame that the school won't give them some kind of documentation. I know that here in Cleveland, the kids can show some kind of authorization on school letterhead even to sell me a candy bar. I bet they'd get a lot more donations with the school officially backing them up!

USMCCpl

Wow, that's pretty cool. Around here even the small batch mixers are 5 cu. yd, so a couple truckloads is a lot of mud!

It's a shame that the school won't give them some kind of documentation. I know that here in Cleveland, the kids can show some kind of authorization on school letterhead even to sell me a candy bar. I bet they'd get a lot more donations with the school officially backing them up!

We said that at a school board meeting and I thought they were going to run us out of the building. This is a rich town. Problem is not everyone in the town is rich. But the majority of the town is so they do not want their students to have to ask for help or donations and if they do then they should not be attending the school at least thats what one of the parents said when i mentioned the school backing the students with documentation. The board said they do not allow students the use of the letterhead as they use it for the wrong intentions. So being this is not my first time helping a student out at this school i know to expect very little if any response to email request for help.
So far wife and I have purchased her a Lathe, bed extension, stand, stand extension, nova midi chuck, nova mini cole jaw, nova pen jaw, jacobs chuck, adjustable pen mandrel, pen mandrel saver, 60* live center, EWT @ 50% off 7 tools in all, pen squaring kit. So just at $2000 out of pocket. Hardest thing to get is pen kits, bottle stopper kits and unique blanks. I refuse to give up I will keep emailing until i run out of places to email. I will keep trying to get folks to spread the word and point her in the right direction.
Oh yeah I almost forgot they are not allowed to sell candy bars here or anything for that matter. It is unsafe for the young adult to do so, and it makes it look like this is a poor town if we do so. Our classes are average about 33 for a graduating class and actually dropping. Take a guess what our school budet is, go ahead guess. 15mil a year, the town office, highway, water, sewer, police, and fire operate on just under 4mil and our school is 15mil, with average class sizes of 33. Explain that one.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
USMCCpl;1815392 So far wife and I have purchased her a Lathe said:
I'm curious why after spending $2,000 for a wonderful woodturning shop (that many would dream of) for one High School Project, the pen kits/blanks, etc is such a challenge?

If you PM me your address I'll supply 10 kits/bushings/unique blanks, for the info of the school district/class and project.

Oh... What happens to the shop after she graduates???

USMCCpl

I'm curious why after spending $2,000 for a wonderful woodturning shop (that many would dream of) for one High School Project, the pen kits/blanks, etc is such a challenge?

If you PM me your address I'll supply 10 kits/bushings/unique blanks, for the info of the school district/class and project.

Well if she does not use it, it will most likely sit in my basement and rust. Or i may sell it to try to get back some money. Or if i can find the spare time i might try my hand at it myself.

I just ordered her a number of starter kits from different company's so she will be all set on them now. Guess it is easier to spend the money then ask for help. Just takes time to make the money to spend it.

Last edited:

USMCCpl

https://b120e7ad-a-de145c72-s-sites...ORxttFQuxZ22n6UL-c6L8YzbTwtA==&attredirects=0

Page 5 of the School District Senior Project Manual indicates that ... "Many good projects require little or no cost..." My quote may be slightly a bit off... feel free to correct :eek:

You are correct in that quote. Have not seen a little or no cost one yet.
If u read farther she is to have approval before soliciting for help. She does not have approval to do so. There for I took it upon myself to do it for her. So even me soliciting for donations for her project is not approved.

Last edited:
This senior project requirements sound very different from the senior projects at the high school where I teach. Projects/concepts must be very specific and not broad in scope.

As I look at the manual added by Mark James I see a couple things that contradict what has been written. For example, "3. The scope of the project should be broad enough to allow for a thorough investigation yet narrow enough to make completion of the project reasonable." Also under Types Of Projects:
"Physical project
ď‚· A tangible item, created by the senior"
So why the need for all the materials for a variety of items? I also see where a demonstration can be done. Perhaps that would be a great route to go to bring awareness to this craft.

Well if she does not use it, it will most likely sit in my basement and rust. Or i may sell it to try to get back some money. Or if i can find the spare time i might try my hand at it myself.

I just ordered her a number of starter kits from different company's so she will be all set on them now. Guess it is easier to spend the money then ask for help. Just takes time to make the money to spend it.

Or you could donate the equipment to the Industrial Arts Department at the school. I'm sure the teacher would love the equipment as elective courses across our country have taken a hit due to budget cuts. It would be a tax deduction as well. Here is the teacher's contact information: Mr. Gosselin's email: jgosselin@sunapeeschools.org

USMCCpl

Ok i get the hint ladies and gentlemen. I understand your skepticism. I will kindly and respectfully leave your community. I broke the rules and solicted for help even they she was told not to do so. Thanks to all of you that have helped out it was very much appreciated. To the rest of you I am sorry you feel the way you do, I apologize if you feel I cause you any ill intent. I was just trying to help someone in need!
Good day all.

Moderators please close this thread.

Mortalis

It appears to me that what the school is looking for is not someone to take on an insurmountable task (ie, building a spa out of 5 truckloads of cement) but to take on a project that they have little to no knowledge of that may have have some interest to them. Document their progress through the learning stages, their trials and tribulations and how they were able to resolve any issues they encountered. Then present this learning experience in a project outline and possibly an example of the outcome of the learning.

If you think about it this is something everyone has done at tsome time in their lives, especially if learning a new job or learning how to change a tire on a car only the documenting is required. I think the documenting of the whole event is the key to this project, no necessarily the presentation of a finished piece of something.

USMCCpl

Well my sister-in-law sent me a text and said she signed up for the site. She said she will not mention her name but she is going to tell the truth about her big brother. I told her not to worry about it and I would take care of the problem.

My sister-in-law graduated high school in 2012. She is currently in college, she is going to further educate herself to become a fish and game officer. She recently came to me with an interest is the woodturning. So we bought her a lathe. She turned a bowl, then another one, then a mug and again another one. She attended a class in vermont for a day. She spends most of her time at the turning tent at the craftsmans fair. She wanted to do more than just turn firewood that i would bring home from work. We bought her some stuff at woodcraft. She needed more. So i took it upon myself to do what i did in 2012 for her senior project in maple sugaring, i had permission from the school to solicit for donations in 2012 for her senior project. Seeing how i am helping her cousin in another school district in the state with his senior project on photography. I figured why not set her up with another senior project and get her some extra stuff for her hobby. So thats what i did. I figured this time I will tell the truth instead of her coming in her to bail her big brother out of the mess he got himself into. Anyway i was just trying to help her out in her hobby of woodturning and went about it the wrong way. She blames that on my mental issues. Maybe thats why my wife and I are going to counseling. Who knows.
I apologize to all of you for causing any harm! I ws just trying to help out my sister-in-law. I understand if you remove me from the community. Please allow her to remain if she did sign up.
Thank you all for your time.
Moderators please remove me from your forums.

stonepecker

Well my sister-in-law sent me a text and said she signed up for the site. She said she will not mention her name but she is going to tell the truth about her big brother. I told her not to worry about it and I would take care of the problem.

My sister-in-law graduated high school in 2012. She is currently in college, she is going to further educate herself to become a fish and game officer. She recently came to me with an interest is the woodturning. So we bought her a lathe. She turned a bowl, then another one, then a mug and again another one. She attended a class in vermont for a day. She spends most of her time at the turning tent at the craftsmans fair. She wanted to do more than just turn firewood that i would bring home from work. We bought her some stuff at woodcraft. She needed more. So i took it upon myself to do what i did in 2012 for her senior project in maple sugaring, i had permission from the school to solicit for donations in 2012 for her senior project. Seeing how i am helping her cousin in another school district in the state with his senior project on photography. I figured why not set her up with another senior project and get her some extra stuff for her hobby. So thats what i did. I figured this time I will tell the truth instead of her coming in her to bail her big brother out of the mess he got himself into. Anyway i was just trying to help her out in her hobby of woodturning and went about it the wrong way. She blames that on my mental issues. Maybe thats why my wife and I are going to counseling. Who knows.
I apologize to all of you for causing any harm! I ws just trying to help out my sister-in-law. I understand if you remove me from the community. Please allow her to remain if she did sign up.
Thank you all for your time.
Moderators please remove me from your forums.

You lied.....you got caught. Now you want us to believe you are telling the truth? Just how can you expect that?

What you have done makes it very hard to help the people that truly need it.

VJHM

Good morning. I am going to remain anonymous if you do not mind. I am the sister in law. I am here to see what kind of trouble my crazy brother has caused this time. He has good intentions, but he goes about things the wrong way. He is a good guy honestly he is. I think he has some mental issues. My sister made him go see a counselor, his mental issues are starting to affect their marriage.
I do apologize for any trouble he may have caused. I told him to just br honest, and people help out if they felt the need to. I see by reading his posts he has been honest in some aspects and in others he embellished the truth or just down right lied. I understand he is just trying to help me out but there is no excuese for the way he went about doing so.
He was honest on his last post. I did graduate in 2012, and I am currently in college for environmental science. He is also helping my cousin with his senior project in photography. My goal is to become a Fish and Game Officer as well. I will have to give him credit for being honest.
I do enjoy woodturning as my brother has stated. My sister is the bread maker in the family. So she is the one who has been buying me all the stuff for my woodturning fetish. I would say my big brother is just trying to make up for alot of things that he lacks in. I honestly think it is a horrible thing that i have to come here and try to fix his misleading ways. I do apologize for his actions and I hope you see as well as others that he was just trying to help his sister.
Big brother I am no longer a child, as you have stated in your posts I am a young adult. You do not need to do everything for me, you do not need to get everything for me.
You do need to understand that you are my big brother no matter what. I told you to be honest up front, people will help me if i am doing a senior project as you stated or as I am stating starting a new adventure in woodturning. Honesty is always the best policy. You know that as you were a Marine, now start acting like one again.
I am sorry for all the havoc my brother has caused. I would like to thank those who have sent stuff to him. I have not been over to his house in a couple of weeks, so I am not sure what he has procured in that time frame. I will use what ever it is that was sent, it may take me some time to do so. I am after all in college, I also play a number of sports at the college. I also work a part time job during my semester's here at college.

I wish you all a good day!

I would like to suggest that the following donations be passed along to the school's Industrial Arts Department as they were solicited under false pretense for a non existent high school senior project. Perhaps it might ease the sting for those who generously gave money or product as well as shipping costs. Knowing the products are being used in an educational setting might be best.

Thank you to:

Screw Wax (Carnauba wax)

Micro-Surface Finishing Products INC. (Micro-Mesh Finishing Kit)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Personally, I believe you are the same person creating another membership here to try to explain away your blundering ambitions. (I know, I could be wrong) I don't need an apology because, I didn't send anything. Scam came to mind on the first post. Then, verified by the frequent post editing. You're too slow.

If you are indeed the Cpl.'s sister/sister-in-law, you might want to go with him to counseling to, see that he gets it. Furthermore, I doubt he was ever a Marine in the USMC. They have more pride than you/he, (whichever)

As far as I'm concerned, you can take the spoils garnished from the kind hearted folks who donated and, enjoy it. But, don't expect an open armed reception from ME if, you continue posting on this forum.

By the way you should know that last night I sent emails to the person at the high school that oversees the senior projects. I copied and pasted your posts and info to see if you were being straight up with us. So I imagine you will hear from them. I know I am hoping I will.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Chuck is correct. We've been scammed.

The users USMCCpl and VJHM were created from and accessed the site from the same IP address, both a fixed and a mobile device. Before I let him know I knew this, VJHM told me that they do not live together.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Also, I've disabled both accounts rather than banning. When a user is banned, he is unable to see the site and his posts don't come up in search. I want to leave these in public view so that the local authorities and the school district can have evidence of the crimes committed.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
It's very unfortunate that a number of vendors and individuals got burned. That just hurts the next legitimately in need person who asks for help.

Any individual who would like to be reimbursed for either cash or materials invested in this scammer can send me a PM. Something about this guy didn't smell right from the beginning, but it did take us a while to snare him.

My sincere apologies to anyone taken in by this guy.

Sabaharr

Wow Jeff. I just packed a SFRB to ship to him and paid the postage. Guess that is all I am out. I will try to cancel the shipment with USPS.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I already sent him 2 of my $20 Craft Supply Gift Certificates and have a box ready to mail. Glad I didn't go to the post office yet.

I guess I'm too trusting like many others here.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Fraud is certainly something that can take the wind out of someone's sails. I'm glad we're such an open and giving community, and it really sucks when people like this take our goodwill and take advantage of it.

We're fortunate in that it's been caught - and fortunate in that we can get closure in that he's not going to scam anyone else on this site.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I just got an email from him. In part:

I was just trying to get some stuff to turn on my lathe. I got the idea cause i did the same thing when my sister-in-law did her senior project on maple sugaring in 2012. So i figured i could get some stuff to turn on my lathe by saying my sister-in-law was doing another senior project.

I am shocked and saddened that someone would prey on the generosity of strangers like this, and pass it off as casually as this. "I got the idea..." Yeah, great idea to fabricate a story, and steal from kind people.

I don't believe for one minute that his sister-in-law did anything related to maple sugaring. He's just a common thief and con man who still can't escape from his own web of lies.

Top Bottom