New Guy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

In the link about his sister maple sugar project there are many "links" to a photo gallery that no one seemed able to access.

It's great to know that this community is so willing jump in and help someone. It's sad that it ended this way.

stonepecker

In the link about his sister maple sugar project there are many "links" to a photo gallery that no one seemed able to access.

It's great to know that this community is so willing jump in and help someone. It's sad that it ended this way.

I am happy that he was caught. NOW, I am hopefull that the cops will get involved and he gets what is comming to him.

Theft by Fraud and a record for the rest of his life. That should be the very least.

We are a very giving and understand group of people. Mistakes happen. HOWEVER, this is what ruins it for others. I feel no pity for him and hope that he pays the full price for his actions. YES, HIS ACTIONS......that is part of the problem today. People don't take responsibility for THEIR ACTIONS. It is always someone else's fault. I am sick of it.

KenV

Some one who sent goods willing to file a complaint with the Postal Inspectors? It would be better if there were several complaints filed. Need to build a trail so the next time there is a record.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
FYI

I've been in contact with USMCCpl thru mail.

I sent him 2 CSUSA gift certificates. He has paid me for the certificates.

He also asked my to send Sabaharr his contact so he can pay him for the package he sent and shipping.

So how many other individuals and businesses does he/she need to send materials back to?

Thank you to:

EasyWood Tools (50% off a one time order)

Gorilla Glue (2 bottles of CA Glue)

Daddy Van's (5oz jar of beeswax)

FastCap (2p-10 finishing kit)

Novus (3 step finishing kit)

Century Tree Turnings (large box of wood blanks)

Clifford D Souza from HI (large box of KOA blanks, and 3 turning tools)

Chefwarekits ( 1 large wood blank, 2 bottle stopper blanks, 1 spectraply pen sampler pack, 1 acrylic blank, 1 magnify glass kit, 1 letter opener kit, 1 salt mill 12", 1 salt shaker kit, 1 pizza cutter kit, 1 cork bottle stopper kit, 1 bottle opener kit, 1 ice cream scoop kit, and one dvd)

Dave form Home (Two $10 gift certificates to CSUSA)

Screw Wax (Carnauba wax)

ATV TEK (washable dust mask)

CSUSA (15% off one time order)

Schaller Inc. (ScrewWax) (1 4oz carnauba flake wax, 1.35oz can screwwax, three .75Oz cans screwwax, 3 bars carnauba wax, four .1oz packets screwwax)

Micro-Surface Finishing Products INC. (Micro-Mesh Finishing Kit)

And to those of you whom wish to remain anonymous, Thank You as well.

dthayer

Wow, I guess I'm too trusting -- I fell for it hook, line, and sinker but (luckily?) didn't really have anything to send him. I am usually much more cynical with online offers/requests but didn't expect it here because everyone is so helpful.

I did kind of question to myself the need for a few $$ of kits/blanks after spending so much for the equipment but just kind of let it slide. Lesson learned but, as others have said, I hope this doesn't hurt the next person that truly needs some help.

I hope everyone had a GREAT Thanksgiving!!

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Wow, I guess I'm too trusting -- I fell for it hook, line, and sinker but (luckily?) didn't really have anything to send him. I am usually much more cynical with online offers/requests but didn't expect it here because everyone is so helpful.

I did kind of question to myself the need for a few $$ of kits/blanks after spending so much for the equipment but just kind of let it slide. Lesson learned but, as others have said, I hope this doesn't hurt the next person that truly needs some help.

I hope everyone had a GREAT Thanksgiving!!

One sleazy snake in lamb's clothing isn't enough to destroy the kind spirit of our members, I don't think. Luckily, this sort of crap doesn't happen often - it's the exception, not the rule. Thank goodness.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
When donating any materials or kits, money, or what have you, I never give anything I cant walk away from and let go. I dont let people like this stop me from giving to the next guy that needs it. I try and do some research if possible to make sure its a legitimate need, wood, or leftover poured blanks I dont even worry about.
As a community we are very supportive and generous, lets keep it that way. Its better to lose a couple of bucks on a scam than to withdraw and not help anyone at all.

Wingdoctor

Chuck is correct. We've been scammed.

The users USMCCpl and VJHM were created from and accessed the site from the same IP address, both a fixed and a mobile device. Before I let him know I knew this, VJHM told me that they do not live together.
Jeff, glad you were able to track the users down. As I read the initial posts, I have been sick and off the forum for a few days, I was planning to send some blanks, kits and bushings. I 'm glad I did not. It really is a shame that a person would go to these extremes to get something for nothing. He preyed on the love of fellow Service Vets and his love for his sister-in-law. We have a fine group of members here and is really disrespectable that someone would take advantage of us. This won't change how I feel about helping others. :mad:

jttheclockman

WOW I have to say I too fell for this hook line and sinker. We have been down this path before here but this is a new low. It takes all kinds but it does give you pause when donating. This is a shame all the way around. Hats off to those who did pick up on the scam.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Just a little update...

The user USMCCpl, Michael Barnhart, has been contacting the businesses which sent him free items and gave him discounts, explained that he fabricated the story for his own benefit, and is paying back what he owes. I've been contacted by several companies, and he's provided me with receipts I believe to be legitimate. This doesn't erase his crime, but I am glad to hear that he's at least attempting to straighten out the mess he created.

Curly

I know the members trust and generosity are not abused very often but perhaps when a new member joins and is after product or monetary gifts we should report them to the mods. The mods can then put a hold on things until the new member can be vetted. If their need is true then the hold released and the membership can do what they can to help. If it turns out to be a scam then they are banned.

jttheclockman

I know the members trust and generosity are not abused very often but perhaps when a new member joins and is after product or monetary gifts we should report them to the mods. The mods can then put a hold on things until the new member can be vetted. If their need is true then the hold released and the membership can do what they can to help. If it turns out to be a scam then they are banned.

How do you have someone vetted on a forum??? It wasn't till this person continued talking that got him in trouble. I think there should be some sort of post count or time limit if they are going to ask for donations. Even that there are ways around.

dthayer

It's good to hear that he is trying to make right. Maybe he learned a lesson... I hope so for his sake.

Just a little update...

The user USMCCpl, Michael Barnhart, has been contacting the businesses which sent him free items and gave him discounts, explained that he fabricated the story for his own benefit, and is paying back what he owes. I've been contacted by several companies, and he's provided me with receipts I believe to be legitimate. This doesn't erase his crime, but I am glad to hear that he's at least attempting to straighten out the mess he created.

Charlie_W

Just a little update...

Thank you for this update. It certainly is encouraging.

BJohn

OH MY! SERIOUSLY ! What a disgrace to the Marine Corp.

Jeff is this guy removed from the IAP?

Last edited:

Sabaharr

BJohn, Jeff said that both of the accounts he had set up were blocked. I suppose there is nothing to stop him from setting up another from a different IP address and name. There is no way to prevent that fraud short of closing the membership to existing members. That would defeat the purpose of this group which is sharing knowledge. And we all know that "WE" are all experts already so there would be no one to share with. You wouldn't believe how hard I was laughing when I typed that last sentence.

Top Bottom