New in Colorado

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gdurfey

Howdy, found this site through AAW and it seems just what I need. Been turning pens, self taught, for about a year now and really enjoy it. Great gift making opportunity. Sold a couple and am only down a couple thousand dollars now. Wait, add some more to the negative side, bought a grinder/sharpener today. Oh well. Live just east of Colorado Springs in Falcon.

Just doing simple pens at this time, a bunch of seam rippers and am starting to think about some other turning projects. But pens and associated projects are my primary interest.

You will also find me working on several Honda Gold Wings including a '75, '76, and a '84 model as well as riding a newer one. I just have to keep the sawdust out of the engine and the grease/grime off the wood!!

Best wishes to everyone.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Welcome Garry.
This hobby can assist you with parting with your hard earnt, no trouble at all.
You will have a great time on this site absorbing information, ideas and knowledge from some great pen makers.
Enjoy the ride.
Brian

Sub Vet 10

Welcome Garry!
You ain't lying about, "Too many hobbies, too little time (and $)."
I almost started riding a few years ago- fell in love with a Yamaha VStar- but had just started on a 89 Mustang resto-mod...

gdurfey

Brandon, I know we can get into a lot of trouble getting off topic, but I will pm you sometime about that Mustang project. Had an 88 GT conv way back when that I sure do miss!!!!

To the rest, thanks for the welcome. I started communicating on one of my other forums and it is great to connect this way across the country. From this forum, my options for pen kits and 2nd mortgage have already greatly increased in the past 5 days!!!

Sub Vet 10

Brandon, I know we can get into a lot of trouble getting off topic, but I will pm you sometime about that Mustang project. Had an 88 GT conv way back when that I sure do miss!!!!

To the rest, thanks for the welcome. I started communicating on one of my other forums and it is great to connect this way across the country. From this forum, my options for pen kits and 2nd mortgage have already greatly increased in the past 5 days!!!
This is your intro, I would think you're safe to talk about anything.
None-the-less I would enjoy hearing about your Pony.

gdurfey

Did my first bolt action pens over the weekend. One friend requested one, another friend provided 3 kits. He had also provided some wood from his dad's farm, so I turned the top 2 for him (both Locust). The next 2 are cedar, bottom left is Padauk, and the bottom right is Ebony. The bottom right is also my first attempt at a CA finish. Interesting exercise. Thanks for all the tips from the "finishing" forum. Will have to work on the old technique some. Speaking of which, I need to run down to the garage; I have a second CA finish attempt going on right now. Left the lathe running to ensure the CA stays even.

thanks all. Not the best picture, will read those tips later tonight or this week.

Attachments

• DSCN1060.jpg
    DSCN1060.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 132

Mr Vic

Welcome Garry,

There isn't a local pen chapter in the area but if you're interested the Pikes Peak Woodturners hold their meeting the 1st Wednesday of each month in Manitou. You can PM if you'ld like more info. There are several members from the Falcon/Peyton area.

And I won't hold the Goldwings against....Just have fun riding..

Top Bottom