New Arizona member

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalmorgan

hi... i'm hooked on the IDEA of turning pens...i want a creative outlet like this... but have a few things to iron out first.

1. Can it be done as a light hobby in an apartment. concerned about noise.

2. I have parkinsons with less hand control than normal.. i've good days and not good days.

3. You'll laugh, but i saw that small pen-turning lathe that sears sells..perfect for apartment use.. any comments on how well it works?

Is there anyone in phoenix/tempe area that might let me watch this done and try turning some scrap? Id be willing to pay for a kit or blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Tom... If I was closer you could come over to my place and play all you wanted to. But, alas I am some 14 miles east of Atlanta, Ga and several hundred away from Phoenix.

I am not familiar with the Sear's lathe at all. Hopefully someone else on the Forum will be.

If you can recognize that you have 'good and bad days' I don't see why you would have much of any problem on one of your good days. Depending on the severity of the Parkinson's you could even get many things done on even a not so good day ... looking at blanks, sorting designs ideas out, etc.

I don't think you would make much noise to worry about, but you would definitely have a heck of a dust problem to contend with during each pen that you make. Carpets would quickly become full of really fine dust. A hardwood floor and good sealed doorways would be better. Most here probably do not consider "hoopen and hollering" about the beautiful pen they just made to be noise, so don't worry about that part at all. And running up and down the sidewalk telling everyone to "look at the pen I just made" doesn't count as noise either!

I hope you have an understanding wife (IF you are married) as she will see a lot more to the housecleaning task. AND, if you have a cat just don't let them find the dust pile as they seem to immediately want to turn it into a litter box ... don't even ask how I found out about this 'problem' today!

Good luck to ya and if you can work out the potential headaches I am sure that you will do quite well. Before you take the plunge though I believe you should first visit a nearby turner or to the local Woodcraft or Rockler stores and see what all is needed to even make your first pen. [:D]

PenWorks

Welcome Tom, There is going to be an Arizona get together billed as "The San Jancinto Fest"
Put on by Mike & Kevin, Oct 20th in Gilbert. You should try and make that. Great group of guys.

Several here turn in apartments, with success. You might want to check out a Jet mini lathe, this seems to be the small lathe of choice. I have a couple and can vouch for them.

My pop ran a machine lathe and we made him take a medical disability because of his Parkinsons. He was to proud a guy and went to work on good days and bad days, and I thought one day he is going to kill him self at work.

My store and shop is in Carefree if you are ever up that way. Good luck on your new hobby and your Parkinsons.

jclark58

Welcome. In addition to Anthony's suggestion to attend Mike and Kevin's "San Jacinto Fest 2007" a visit to the Arizona Woodturners Association is in order. We are having our October meeting next Saturday, 10/13 at the Pyle Center in Tempe. For additional information on this and other meetings you can visit the club's website, http://www.azwoodturners.org.

I will be at both the San Jacinto Fest 2007 and the AWA meeting, odds are I'll have a camera in my hand. Feel free to contact me directly at the email below for additional information on either meeting or for anything else.

Jason
jclark58@gmail.com

airrat

Welcome Tom, another Az turner here.

I wont be at the get together this year due to working in the AM and then have a birthday party to attend. But they are a really good group of people and you can learn alot from them in a few hours.

vick

Tom,
You are welcome to come over to my place for the get together on Oct 20th. Just PM me and I will send you the info.
As Jason mentioned the AZ woodturners is a great place and you might be able to meet someone who lives closer to you. If you come to the meeting find me and say hi. Jason can point me out.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Welcome, Tom!

Glad you're not letting Parkinson's get in your way! I looked at that lathe at Sears.com, and it looks like it might work for pens, if that's the maximum your budget will allow. Better yet, though, If you want a bit more bang for your buck and the ability to make more things (including small bowls), you might want to check out the Jet Mini - lots of people on this forum seem to have them, and they've all praised it highly...

Andrew

digitalmorgan

Wow... great welcome!

I agree.. the Sears unit runs $135- wood crafts place up on I17 has the Jet mini at $199.99, $260 if you want the varispeed.

I'm looking for a new apt right now, hate the process.. one place had a 2 car garage avail for $50 a month!! Visions of sawdust flying! Too bad the apt for it was a dump!

I'll be in touch with some of you and look forward to meeting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom