New to the area (NoVa)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimhenning

Hello everyone!

My name is Jim, I am woodturner for the last 4-5 years, i focus mostly on pens and razors and just moved to Northern Virginia a few months ago from an overseas posting. I have a few questions, kinda scattered in topics, but looking for local help if possible. If you can answer, please let me know.

1. Are there local meet ups/meetings?
2. Are there a lot of craft shows? I started an etsy but would also like to sell in person....haven't done that yet.
3. I am buying a house that has a great shop. 20 x 25 and I'm having some questions on how best to set it up.

I know I will have more questions, but I wanted to introduce myself and get a few questions out there. I appreciate any help and look forward to making some friends here!

Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Jim

I hope you don't mind, but I moved this to the general introductions forum. I think you will get more responses from members in your area.

MDWine

Welcome to IAP, and Northern Virginia!

There is at least one group I would recommend, Capital Area Woodturners.
( Capital Area Woodturners )

It is rare to encounter a group of VERY talented turners so willing (and able) to help a new turner. Take a look at the site, see the newsletters and pictures (they have a very talented photographer, lol).

We meet once a month, we have an "instant gallery" or "show and tell" where people share what they've done. Following show'n'tell, the meeting is usually someone demonstrating a technique. Usually speakers/demonstrators are nationally known, even INTERNATIONALLY well known. (Stuart Batty comes to mind as a speaker in the next several month)

In addition, there is a program for mentoring, and twice a month a "skill enhancement" session. The club has 10 or more lathes, all of the tools and wood, and more than enough skill to help you with any turning you want to learn.

The next meeting is May 13 (Demonstrator is George Taylor, Colored Bowl and Platter Technique).

I dare say you will never meet a more receptive bunch of folks!

Hope that helps, I'm sure CharlieW will jump into the conversation too, he is CAW too.

Charlie_W

Hi Jim,

Welcome to IAP!....and northern Virginia!

Like Michael said, CAW is a great woodturning club. Always something for everyone. If nothing else, come to the meeting for the fresh donuts and coffee!

Also, in the area is Cotoctin Area Turners (CAT) Catoctin Area Turners -- Site under Maintenance
We also have Turning /mentoring sessions and many who will help if asked.
Both clubs have some pen turners as well so, come on down!

Let us know where you are located in NOVA . There is also a club which meets in Frederick, MD as well as Winchester, VA.

Also, if you tell us a little more about your shop equipment/type of Woodworking/turning, we can better help with suggestions on shop layout.

jimhenning

Charlie, thanks!

I already reached out to CAW and will hopefully be at the next meeting.

I am currently living in Springfield, found out we are staying in the area (USAF) so we are buying. The house i'm in currently has no shop, garage, basement, etc so I ran power to the garden shed. Not ideal but i'm able to do small projects.

I plan on expanding my tool inventory, currently have a small pen lathe (Turn commander from PSI) a hobby band saw, a really nice craftsman router and table, heading back to Omaha to get the rest of my stuff from storage...a table saw, miter saw, radial arm saw and various other things. I want to get a dust extraction device as well. I have some pics of the area I will be working with but it was filled with the current owners train sets, so hard to judge.

I'll repost soon with more info, was just seeing how quickly and helpful i could find some help on the interwebz.

Hi Jim,

Welcome to IAP!....and northern Virginia!

Like Michael said, CAW is a great woodturning club. Always something for everyone. If nothing else, come to the meeting for the fresh donuts and coffee!

Also, in the area is Cotoctin Area Turners (CAT) Catoctin Area Turners -- Site under Maintenance
We also have Turning /mentoring sessions and many who will help if asked.
Both clubs have some pen turners as well so, come on down!

Let us know where you are located in NOVA . There is also a club which meets in Frederick, MD as well as Winchester, VA.

Also, if you tell us a little more about your shop equipment/type of Woodworking/turning, we can better help with suggestions on shop layout.

Top Bottom