New to all of this - AZ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

copperstar

Hello,
I'm Margaret in Arizona.
I've learned a lot from this site so I thought I should introduce myself.

A year ago, I had never operated a power tool. A friend took my 13 year old daughter to Rockler. My daughter came home and excitedly told me about the machine that spins wood and you can carve on it. She decided she really wanted to learn more about the lathe. She asked for one for Christmas.
Now my garage has been turned in to a shop and I am hooked on making pens.
I've learned to operate a lathe, a drill press, a band saw, as well as a hand drill, a jigsaw and a miter saw.
I attended the AAW symposium in June here in PHX and loved it.
I had to take a break during the hot months as my garage has no AC but am enjoying it now during the 'nice' weather. (it's Arizona)

I'm sure I will have many more questions so thanks in advance.
Margaret

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

Welcome Margaret,

While I have dabbled with woodworking my entire life, I didn't get into turning or pens until my kids made some at Woodcraft as Christmas presents a couple of years ago.

FYI - in February the IAP has a birthday party called the BASH. There are a bunch of contests and lots of fun to be had. There is usually a contest for kids age 13 and under. All 3 of my kids have participated over the past couple of years and it has been a fun time watching over them as they turn a pen. The guidelines/rules for each contest usually start to get posted in mid to late January, so keep your eyes open for it.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas
You're an awesome mom!
Don't hesitate to ask questions - I learn something new almost every time a question is asked & answered

copperstar

Thank-you to all for the welcomes.

I'll keep my eyes open for the contests and events.

We're definitely putting safety first. In fact we prefer our 3m face mask with built in respirator over the face shield. I also just bought a small dust collector that I want to attach to the lathe to decrease the amount of dust.
My worst mishap so far was gluing my fingers together and I know that won't be the last time, I've begun that endless pursuit of an ideal finish. :eek:

Thanks again!

bloodhound

Welcome from Mass. I have always enjoyed hearing when children get parents hooked on their hobbies. Good job and good luck on the finish. I have started using the CA finish kit from PS ind. works well. But read around in here. Lots of good stuff.

Top Bottom