New to this

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ragen

New to the site and new to pen turning. I currently make custom split bamboo fly rods. As part of the process in making a rod I turn my own grips and wood reel seat inserts. The grips are either cork or laminated wood rings of birch. The reel seat inserts are normally made out of figured wood and the attributes I look for and the turning processes are very close to same for turning wood blanks for pens. At least it appears that way to me. Because of that I want to give pens a try. A lot of the equipment that I already have can be used for turning pens. I currently use a Jet 1221vs lathe with a Nova G3 chuck system and various jaw sets. My shop also has a bandsaw, table saw, drill press, jig saw, and a Sherline hobby metal lathe. I use a JB Industries evacuation pump, Turn Tex vacuum chamber, and cactus juice to stabilize reel seat blanks. I'm currently using HSS Sorby chisels. Sharpening is done with an 8 inch variable speed grinder and One Way Wolverine jigs. I'm thinking about getting a set of carbide chisels to cut down on the time spent having to sharpen the HSS chisels. So now I need to start picking up some pen turning specific tools. I know I have a ton of research to do and I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions to ask. So off to reading all the resources here on this site and watching YouTube videos. Jeeps, tying flies, making bamboo rods, and now pen turning… The addictions continue to grow.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

You will find photos of pen blanks with thread art as part of the decor. Used to build rods. Looked into bamboo but the cost to start was $3-4K. Scratched that idea.
Welcome to the forum and pen making!

Ragen

a split cane blank would make a pretty cool pen, combined with a few fly rod finishing touches.

I was already thinking about how I could incorporate bamboo strips and cut offs into pen blanks. I see a pressure pot and molds being added to the shop down the road.

Ragen

You will find photos of pen blanks with thread art as part of the decor. Used to build rods. Looked into bamboo but the cost to start was $3-4K. Scratched that idea.
Welcome to the forum and pen making!

Thanks I'll see if I can find the photos. I agree. The expense for setting up to make bamboo rods is not for the faint of heart. The good thing is like most other things you don't have to buy all the equipment at once. There are "work arounds" until you're able to get better equipment. It seems to me that any addiction is expensive. Just ask anyone who rides a Harley Davidson or drives a modified Jeep. (Just Empty Every Pocket). I don't think I would have even looked at turning pens if I didn't already have a lot of the tools already.

thewishman

Sounds like you are pretty well set up already. Should be a comfortable transition, as you use the tools and skills already.

Welcome! Pens are easy to carry and share, and fun to make.

Be sure to ask questions, probably someone will say, "Look in the library" or "Do a search" but there are people who will be willing and able to help.

Top Bottom