Neophyte in Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gepzo

Hi! I just joined after finding this site off FPN.

I'm a chemical engineer by day, working in a chemical plant, I live and work near Houston, Texas. I've got a wonderful wife and two young children (ages 2 and 8 months as of this post) who occupy most of my time away from work, but I do find a few hours a week to spend in the shop.

I started using fountain pens a few years ago, after many years off, and became interested in making my own. I've made about 7 or 8 pens from kits, and am just now starting to make closed-end parts. One of my goals is to make frankenpens from decent-performing-but-inexpensive pens, like the Pilot Petit and Platinum Preppy. That, and upgrade some mechanical pencils with nicer bodies. Eventually, I want to be able to make an entire pen except for the nib (and maybe the feed) from ebonite and/or clear acrylic/lucite/plexiglass, as I've seen others do. Nothing like setting the bar high!

My current lathe is an old Ingersoll from the 60's, older than I am, but it seems to be doing pretty good.

My other interests are computers, martial arts, and I dabble with making music with an electric guitar. Not directly related to what's going on here, but it may explain why I like excessively gadget-laden, shockingly colored pens with fine Japanese nibs.

- George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Greetings from way up North, all the way up past Crosby (but not quite as far as Kingwood) Always good to hear from another turner around Houston. Feel free to drop me a email, Maybe we can get together sometime.

James

alamocdc

Welcome, George! There are some fine penturners down in your neck of the woods. One of our daughters lives in the Woodlands and my brother and stepdad live just outside of Conroe.;)

Top Bottom