mrbones49@windstream.net

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kalloyd

Hi yall. I'm new to pen turning. 2 months. Having fun. Can anyone give me some pointers on getting acrylic blanks that have that showroom shine.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Dry sand to 600 grit, making sure to sand laterally until all radial scratches are gone. Wet sand to 12,000 grit with Multi Mesh pads, again sanding laterally until all radial scratches are gone. Buff on buffing wheel with White Diamond. That's my process, FWIW. I'm sure you'll get many more opinions. :)

Regards,
Michael

PS Welcome to the forum!

mecompco

good advice, Michael - I'm lazier, so I skip the wheel and the dry sanding, but I'm sure that would help!

edit: awesome pipe in the pic!

Haha, well, I'm getting better with the skew, but I still need the Afgan milling machine (sandpaper) to get the blank totally round. I was just polishing w/Meguire's after wet sanding, but noticed it sometimes left radial marks. The buffing wheel seems to leave a better finish.

The pic is a couple years old--now the 'stash is totally waxed and curled. The pipe is a nice gourd Calabash--unfortunately, it now needs a new meer bowl as I ended up cracking it getting it out for cleaning. :mad: I took the pic for my avatar on the pipe smoking forum I frequent.

Regards,
Michael

Last edited:

BSea

For acrylic, I don't dry sand at all. I wet sand to 600, the 1st 5 MM pads. As Michael said above, sand the blank lengthwise with the lathe stopped to eliminate radial scratches, then triple E and white diamond on the buffing wheels.

campzeke

You have some great advice above Ken. My condolences to you for having to put up with Windstream. Ben there done that. No desire to go back.

Top Bottom