Mandrel problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gene Mc

Hi all, I'm relatively new to pen making but have been woodworking for years. At 80 I no longer do heavystuf so pen turningis becoming my cup of tea. I do have a problem. I'm using a Morse Taper on my mandrell and it is becoming coated with carbon-like material and had a few scratches on it. Does anyone know what causes this, i.e. too much pressure, dirty bearing surface, etc. If I need to do something please let me know.

Thanks

Gene Mc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
WELCOME!!! Gene!!!!

Sounds like metal filings. Not a good sign. Have any squeaky sounds? Or see anything in the headstock that's rubbing? Can you show us a picture?

Gene Mc

I'm sure there are metal filings as there isat least one rather large (deep) gouge in the taper. I've cleaned out the head but it continues. It is not an expensive lathe and I'm thinking the metal in the head, ot the maddrel, is rather soft and cheap, but ... I guess you get whatyou pay for. Gene Mc

KenV

Sounds like a burr or problem in the taper -- \

I had similar on an MT1 taper and it took a light treatment wth a MT1 Taper reamer to cleanup the taper. A good cleaing with a bronze brush is the starting point for the taper and the mandrel and a visual inspection (you may need a fiber optic device to get a good look). MT reamers can be found in machinist supply vendor or the 'Bay if you want to recover a damaged spindle ---

Some days it is better to park a new lathe there.

Paul in OKC

You can try to use sand paper (fine grit) wrapped around a pencil or something and lightly sand the inside of the spindle. Lightly sand the taper part as well to clean it up.

Gene Mc

Okay, I'm going to purchase a screw-on mandrel. That should give me temporary relief. Does anyone know where I can purchase a MT1 reamer?

Gene Mc

jwoodwright

Gene,
I'd use Paul's advice first, as he is a machinist... Those Morse Taper reamers need a real gentle touch... You can easily "overcut" the MT...

A MT depends on friction, the socket should be harder than the insert. Something was either left in there or found its way in. Try the sandpaper, I used carborundum (black) 400 grit to clean up my taper...

leehljp

Member Liaison
Gene,

Welcome and join in the fun. There have been some good advice given already. I have a reamer but I use it gently.

For some reading on some of the basics, I am posting links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Last edited:
Top Bottom