Lurker comes out of virtual closet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello to all from Idaho,
Well, I've been lurking around for several months just reading what everyone has to say and occasionally buying some stuff.

Since using one in my junior high and high school wood shop, I had always wanted to own a lathe. Getting married and raising kids never seemed to leave enough money for what I deemed a 'luxury'. I just couldn't justify a lathe because I wanted to make square wood into round wood!

I was one of the lucky ones. About three years ago, was able to retire early (I was 52). After retiring, we sold our home in southern California for a nice profit and moved to Idaho to be near some very dear friends. We bought a home and still ended up debt free with a little money left to spend. After about 6 months, the initial euphoria wore off and I decided to take a part time job at our local Home Depot. To make a long story short, I injured my back, had back surgery and decided I needed a hobby that didn't involve lifting heavy stuff.

After the surgery, we were on our way home from the hospital, when I spotted the Woodcraft store (Boise Woodcraft store #326). Up until then, I didn't know what Woodcraft was. I have worked with wood ever since I was a kid and thought that maybe there was something 'light weight' that I would enjoy. I asked my wife if we could stop and look around. I actually walked around the store with my walker, in my hospital slipper socks. The people there were great; very helpful and friendly. Most of the guys were 'old farts' like me and most of them had also had back surgeries themselves! The folks a Woodcraft showed me the Jet 1014 mini lathe and some pen kits. It was lust at first sight. My loving (and somewhat gullible) wife, said, "Why not, it's only $250". Even though I was taking some pretty strong pain meds, I still had enough presences of mind to keep my mouth shut about all the other 'stuff' I knew I would need to start turning pens and all the other neat things that were flooding my mind. The salesman at Woodcraft knew, too. He just looked at me, grinned and winked. I bought the lathe, a set of mini turning tools, some pen blanks and a few kits and bushings. Out the door, it was about $350. My loving wife said, "That wasn't TOO bad":). They even came over to my house and set the lathe up for me on a work bench because they knew I couldn’t (or at least ‘shouldn’t’) lift anything over 15 pounds.

I've been turning about two years now and I sell my pens at our local Farmers' Market and several craft shows in the southern Idaho area. I also took a part-time job at the local Woodcraft Store and I'm really having a great time. Pen turning and wood turning in general has really been good therapy for me. Selling my pens and other turned objects has been great because my loving wife doesn't even blink an eye when I say I need a such-n-such gouge to do such-n-such because she sees the money from my sales going into the account before it goes back out!!

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!! Glad to finally be out of the virtual closet, as it were!!

Best Wishes to all,

Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Johnathan

Welcome Tom, thanks for the detailed intro, I enjoyed reading it. Hope you continue to enjoy it here. You're right, it's not really the cost of the lathe that gets you, it's all the other " I gotta have it" stuff. Well, that list never ends!

Ligget

Welcome out of the closet Tom, I am sorry to hear of your back problem, however, there are a few of us in this forum with back problems.

I broke my back in a work accident in 2001, I also managed to put 3 vertibrae out of line which is extremely painful.[xx(]

Great mood lifter when you finish each pen and you don`t feel so useless anymore.[^]

altaciii

The guys at woodcraft tried to warn me.... Probably with the same grin you got in Idaho... "Ha, the lathe is the least of your expenses when you start making pens!" Did I listen? Noooooooo! Here I am 2yrs later still enjoying the other expenses. Great story and welcome to the madness.

IPD_Mrs

Hi Tom, great Bio. Funny thing after reading it I went to look at your photos and noticed that the Jet 1014 seems to have grown up a bit.;)

Welcome to the forum, I think you are gonna fit right in.

Mike & Linda

Tom McMillan

Welcome Tom!!! (Great name by the way!!:D) I hope to get over to Nampa to see my Son and get him started turning on my old lathe (he's mostly interested in turning calls----but, once a person starts turning ya never know.)

BrentK

Hey Tom loved the bio welcome. I am looking forward to start selling my stuff mostly I just have given them away. But still a nice feeling when a pen you gave away comes the subject of a conversation.
Again welcome from the heart of Cajun land.

JimB

Welcome Tom. That's a great story. I've only been doing this a few months and my "other stuff" expenses have easily exceeded the cost of the lathe as well. I try to stick to a budget but I just can't. Really, I do try.:D

<h1>Thanks for the excellent welcome!!</h1> And yes, my Jet 1014 has 'grown up' to become a Jet 1642 VS. It's amazing what TLC and fertilizer (spelled BS) will do for ya!! Return greetings to all the other Woodcraft PT and FT workers. Great place to work, isn't it!! Never had so much fun and been paid for it, too!! Well, I better get back to turn'n & burn'n.... Nampa Farmers' Market open in only 10 days!!! Now, where did I put that Baron closed-end mandrel I got from Arizona Silhouette!?! If anyone knows where I set it down in my shop, let me know!![:I]

kent4Him

Originally posted by ScribbleSticks
Return greetings to all the other Woodcraft PT and FT workers. Great place to work, isn't it!! Never had so much fun and been paid for it, too!! [:I]

Welcome.

Must only be your woodcraft. I regularly hear the guys that work at my local WC complain and talk about finding another job.

JohnU

Hi Tom, Nice intro and history. You've managed to live out my dream! " retiring, working at a woodcraft store, and woodworking! " Not to mention the wife saying "why not, its only $250 !" I can only hope! WELCOME

PaulDoug

Welcome Tom. Enjoyed your Bio. I had back surgery last summer for a ruptured disk, I was lucky, the surgery was a piece of cake for me the hardest part was not doing anything for three months by orders of the Doctor. I also got a little bored retired do I went to work delivering for a flower shop (no woodcraft here). One of the funnest jobs ever. Hope to see you post some of your pens soon.

Top Bottom