Long time fan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sparky2

..first time poster.

I have a boatload of hardwoods on my land, including some nice cedar.
I have a few lengths of that cedar trunk cut up and split (pretty much like firewood).
(Lots of trees went down last April, during the horrific outbreak of tornados we had here.)

Is cedar a nice raw material for pens?

If so, how long should I let it cure / weather out in the elements, before trying to work with it?

Thanks in advance!!

Sparky

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sumterdad

Hello Sparky from south carolina. Check out the library it is full of useful items. And as far as the curing I believe the standard rule is for every inch = a year in drying. Many of us will cut up the wood to just over what a pen blank would be. And either let it cure naturally or zap it in the microwave for quicker use. Any how I hope your pockets can handle this vortex cause once you get in you are in:biggrin:

SDB777

I carry a lot of ERC, and cheap too! The good thing about it, as long as your not selling off the sapwood...the rest is already dry! A few weeks after being cut the resin will come to the surface of the blank(heartwood). Now ERC is quite soft, and it takes awhile to figure out how to finish it without getting that cloudy look....but when it all comes together they are great!

Welcome aboard!

Scott

Top Bottom