Late intro from Charlotte, North Carolina

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

juteck

Greetings all - I've now posted about a dozen messages, but have failed to introduce myself in the introduction forum. I am a hobby turner and turn for fun. I haven't gotten into dedicated sales, although have sold some pieces -- I'm still in the gift giving mode. I turn a variety of pieces, including bowls, platters, ornaments, pens, etc. I am not new to basic pen turning, but not advanced to the point where I am casting my own blanks, powder coating metal parts, etc.. I have experimented some with kit modifications, but no where near the modifications many on this forum (and other forums) are producing. I have limited my turning hours to late evenings after kids' homework and bath and bedtime routines are finished, and around kids sporting activities and schedules.

Like many others, I collect wood and tools, and have even acquired some good boat anchors over the years (aka -- great tools that have only been used once......and remain idle in their original boxes waiting for their moment in the spotlight on the Antique Roadshow).

I am a member of the AAW and NC Woodturners. I am the past editor of the NC Woodturners monthly newsletter .... from February 2002 through December 2006 ( http://www.ncwoodturners.com/newsletters.html ). I'm not as active as I use to be with the NC Woodturners - as my kids get older, their schedules have gotten more involved. I have plenty of time to turn in the future, but only have now to watch my kids grow up.

Photography skills are not my best (or my passion) -- usually the kitchen table with the back of a science project poster board as background, camera set on auto with no adjustments, then a little bad photoshop tweaking afterwards. Maybe someday I'll actually set up a PVC frame photo tent and read my camera manual.....

Here are a few things I've taken pictures of over the years -- I couldn't find pen photos though....but I'll try to post some soon. You'll see that photo re-sizing didn't work well for this posting either --- the 3" birds nest look so much bigger than the 15" platter.......

uteck.jpg

uteck1.jpg

uteck2.jpg

uteck3.jpg

uteck4.jpg

uteck5.jpg

uteck6.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

A big welcome, John.
Very nice work you have done, thanks for sharing
some of it with us.
Looking forward to seeing some of your pens!

S

spiritwoodturner

Welcome, John, you do beautiful work. My favorite out of those pics was the VERY creative foot carving treatment of that platter. Really nice, I've never seen anything quite like it. Also the "Ray Key" style top of it. Love it. You do lovely finials too. And the little off-center stopper, did you do that with an Escoulen or did you make your own chuck?

That's quite a sampling!

Dale

juteck

Thanks all for the welcome. I'm looking forward to playing a little more with pens again!

Welcome, John, you do beautiful work. My favorite out of those pics was the VERY creative foot carving treatment of that platter. Really nice, I've never seen anything quite like it. Also the "Ray Key" style top of it. Love it. You do lovely finials too. And the little off-center stopper, did you do that with an Escoulen or did you make your own chuck?

That's quite a sampling!

Dale

Thanks for the compliments Dale. The feet on the mahogany platter are all turned - no carving. It is done on three centers - I wrote an article about it in the NC Woodturners newsletter -- I'll have to check for which issue it is in. The off center top of the bottle stopper was done using a regular chuck - just loosened the chuck after turning the main part round, then moved the stopper blank off center, and re-tightened the chuck.

welcome and thanks for sharing your work with us. I'm sure you will be able to teach us beginners ALOT.

Thanks Mark, but as I mentioned, I'm really just a hobby turner. I hope to learn ALOT from this group with the advanced pen turning. Who knows, I may even have to try my hand at PR casting one day -- I have the vac pump, I have the compressor, and I have a 8" diam. piece of PVC pipe that seems like it will make a good vacuum chamber for the home brew.

Welcome from the West Coast. I really like your turnings, especially the first bowl in the pictures.

Cindy -- that bowl was turned for a friend of my wife's, is about 8" diameter if I remember correctly, and is canary wood. The red streaking seems to have been a reaction to some bug trails - similar to ambrosia maple. A beautiful wood to turn.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome John. Beautiful work! Pens are similar and somewhat different - kinda like a great softball game and a good baseball game!

I am copying the below explanation from another post, and most will not be new - or maybe none of it will be new to you. Just in case it can, I am including it for the link. Shucks, with your background some of it might even be controversial! :biggrin:

"Below is a link to a PDF file that gives a light overview of many aspects of pen turning tools, pens, methods and finishes. There is such a wide range of choices that many people are not aware of the different possibilities. It is not a complete list but a good help for those new to pen turning. "

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

Last edited:

juteck

John; I like the treatment on the bottom of the Mahogany platter. I believe it is three off center turned circles?

Exactly. The article I wrote for the NC Woodturners was in their Feb 2004 newsletter (http://www.ncwoodturners.com/Documents/v14n02-february-2004.pdf). Frank Penta took this idea a step further and appied his own twist to it - he had an article in the AAW Journal describing his techniques.

Thanks again all for the kind welcomes.

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Nice work John, and welcome from Lexington, SC. We've got a great pen making club (Carolina Penturners that meet the 1st Sat. of each month in Columbia. We'd love to have yo come down and meet with us.
Pat
Lexington, SC

Fred

John, sorry for the late Welcome from me, but I just noticed your 'introduction.'

So, Welcome to the Forum! Very glad to have you.

Nice spindle work there and on all the other turnings. Ya done good! :biggrin:

Top Bottom