Keep on turnin'

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pculver

Hello fellow turners!

I started turning about 2 years ago and was quickly addicted. I love turning pens...I never seem to have enough new pens around the house. I noticed the forums a few weeks ago and have been reading & watching videos with new tips and tricks. What a great place to learn & share your experiences with other turners. Thanks to the IAP for putting this together.

My main objective for now is to find a finish that will really give a glass-like look for my next pen. I just finished a WoodCraft Navigator pen which I love, but the drawback is that I've seen better finishes on pens...especially here in the forums.

So, a quick question, that appears to have no quick answer... "What's the best way to put a super glossy finish on a pen?" Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance and HAPPY TURNING!!!!

Philip Culver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jhs494

Welcome Philip,
If you look in the library section you will see Russ Fairfield's video on BLO and CA finish.
It is definitly worth watching.
He is the man when it comes to pen turning and finishing.IMHO
Good Luck!

karlkuehn

Banned
Hi and a big welcome to you! This site has changed my whole aspect on turning, and after browsing and joining many of the forums out there, this one has become my second home. There's so much knowledge in the archives, it's just amazing, even for a seasoned vet!

I think the secret is that there's enough of us wackos out here posting crazy ideas and alternative methods (most of the time based on innovation due to lack of resources or tools) that you're bound to find something that you'd never have thought of even on a good (or bad) day! I know I have!

Rick_G

I have been using the CA/BLO finish for a while and it worked pretty good. I wanted something better. On one of the sites I frequent someone mentioned brasso. I didn't have any on hand but I did have silvo so I gave that a try. Applied it with a folded piece of bounty paper towel and it worked great and put a mirror finish on the blanks.

pculver

Originally posted by Rick_G
<br />I have been using the CA/BLO finish for a while and it worked pretty good. I wanted something better. On one of the sites I frequent someone mentioned brasso. I didn't have any on hand but I did have silvo so I gave that a try. Applied it with a folded piece of bounty paper towel and it worked great and put a mirror finish on the blanks.

Hi Rick - Thanks for the response. Could you expand on your post? That seems like an interesting way to finish the pens. What grit do you sand through? Do you apply any other finish (CA or BLO or something else) prior to applying the Brasso or Silvo? Also - how many coats of silvo do you apply?

pculver

Thanks for all of your responses...I'm so excited that I found the forums. They are SO user-friendly and there are so many things I've learned just from joining 2 days ago. One other quick question.

When sanding...how long do you sand for each grit? I tend to sand for a minute or two with the lathe running and then a minute or so with the lathe off to remove the scratches the sandpaper left. I saw a Russ Fairfield video and it looked like he sanded for about 8-10 seconds with the lathe running and another 8-10 seconds length-wise with the lathe off. Am I going too ar with the sanding????

Thanks again for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom