Just starting in North Atlanta, GA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bthere

Well, here's a little about me for those who don't bore easily. I first started turning in my Dad's shop about a quarter of a century ago on one of the old Craftsman twin tube lathes driven by an old washing maching motor. When I got out of college, the shop I started accumulating was more dedicated to flat work. Just a couple of years ago, I ended up getting a pretty basic lathe (single tube this time) from a friend who was moving. Well, in spite of the struggles with the machine, I was able to remember what was so fascinating about turning. Then, not too long ago, I fell into an excellent deal on a Jet 1642 lathe and have seen the other shop equipment sitting idle more and more.

I had been noticing those fancy pens that were showing up on the web and at shows and decided to investigate them a bit. I started lurking here off and a couple of months ago, and am still overwhelmed by the interest and information. So, a couple of weeks ago, I ordered a mandrel and such, and I stumbled into the local Woodcraft and got a few kits to try.

I threw together my first pen on Sunday made from some scrap walnut. I think I got hooked. I have made 4 pens this week, mostly during the early morning before heading off to work.

So, long story short, I am spending too much time and starting to look at yet another way to squeeze my wallet dry. Are there any cures out there for this?

Brad

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Welcome to the slippery slope to the poor house Brad . In answer to your question I'm sorry to say there is no known cure for this affliction except to turn more pens .

Wild Turkey

Welcome Brad. No there is no apperant cure. I haven't even turned a pen yet, but soon, and money is going everywhere. Hope some of it comes back my way next year.

JimB

Welcome Brad. Don't even try to find a cure. Even the LOML has tried to find a cure for me and she has now given up. Let your money fly free.

rlofton

Howdy Brad! Might want to consider a weekend gig until you can start making some money off of the pens. Nice having you here!

davinci27

Welcome from the other side of Atlanta. I've only been doing this a few couple of months, but It is great fun, and you have no hope of keeping cash in your wallet.

I hope you saw there is a southeast local chapter. We've got a meeting planned for December 20 at the new woodcraft location. I know there are several folks planning on being there.

Ben

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Well, Brad, there may be no acceptable cure. But you've got a great support group here to help you curb whatever tendencies you have to try and "cure it."

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Brad

Please join us on Saturday, December 20th at the new Woodcraft location. I suspect you have already been by there and purchased the new kits you are talking about. We are a low pressure group, that will meet to show off our pens, put on a few demos, eat some food, and talk and talk. Please join us! We will have some very nice kits for door prizes!

Thanks

Robert

bthere

I want to thank you folks for the warm welcome. Sorry that it's taken me so long to get back to the forum. It's just been a hectic time. This does look like a nice place to hang out, though.

Ben and Robert, I got my first handful of kits from Woodcraft at their old location just before the move. I stopped by their new location last weekend when I was passing by, but only had a few minutes to take a quick look at the new facility. I would like to try to make it to the meeting on December 20. What time will it be?

Brad

Top Bottom