Just another new guy here...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

h0race

Hello IAP members.... another new guy here. I thought I'd jump in here and introduce myself. My name is Tim and I live in Puyallup, WA (real close to Tacoma). I'm 50 years young and I am enjoying my addiction...

My wife acquired a craftsman 15 inch variable speed lathe for me in July of 2010. I knew I wanted to turn something but never thought it would be a pen or pencil....but I got this crazy idea in November that I was going to make pens as Christmas presents for the guys that work for me. so, I headed up to Rockler and bought what I needed to make my first pen. Well I only needed to make 12 for the guys..... 300+ pens later, I have only sold 17 of them on special requests. I have just finally started keeping some for myself.

I have photos of almost everything I've made and once I figure out how to post them, I'll get some up here. I am proud of most my pens but not the photos...so don't judge me on the photos. I have read the document on taking photos and I promise to do better....

Hope to make many friends here,

Tim Pitner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Welcome Tim!

Wow, 300+ pens made so far in a little over a year....that's an amazing amount!

I've been at it for about 2.5 years,and I thought I had made a lot ( approx 100? )

Sure is a fun hobby,huh? I have learned a lot of helpful tips here on the IAP.

Sure wish it didn't cost so much.......

Looking forward to seeing your photos!

Take care,
Steve
San Diego

h0race

So if I did this right, you should see a photo of my very first batch of pens. the one on the far right is my very first pen...ever! and everyone moving to the left is in order of turning.

I wish I had kept the oak one but I didn't like it and I needed another kit, so I pealed the oak off with my gouge.

The second photo is of one I did later on for my daughter. She has to keep an eye on it at work because everyone wants it for some reason.

Attachments

• first batch ever.jpg
    first batch ever.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 254
  • lara's pen.jpg
    lara's pen.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 228

h0race

Now I know I need to start an album.... the acrylics are are my first ever acrylics.. I liked the ribbons so well I had to try several. later I found that I like the lava look.

The Butterfingers was my 3rd attempt at a cast. It started out to be a joke for one of my wife's friends and soon became one of my favorites. It lives in Australia with Margaret now.

Attachments

• first acrylic.jpg
    first acrylic.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 227
  • butterfinger.jpg
    butterfinger.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 254

h0race

ya, every time I go out to clean my garage, I end up making another pen.... but in fairness, I was asked to make some pens for a south pacific nurse's convention and I kind of assembly lined them. And the company I work for just unveiled our new water-jet called the "Pentajet" and since I worked on the project for awhile, I needed to make the "official, UN-official, non-sanctioned, commemorative, PEN-tajet pen" to hand out to all my fellow engineers. I made probably 30 of those alone. I love to work out theams with the pens..

OOPS

Hey there, Tim.... greetings from Spokane! You have a lot of interesting pens there. In the acrylic, the milk chocolate with darker brown ribbons really caught my eye. That's a beautiful blank, and pen. And I love the Butterfinger! Some day, when you're really hungry, you could start a candy bar series of blanks!

After looking at your wood pens, I realize that I tend to make mine too plain, while you have experimented with making each pen your own design. I like #4 and #5 (from the left) #4 has an interesting cut near the finial. #5-- I have a tough time writing with smaller pens, especially the 7mm pens. Your series of cuts to form a "gripping surface" seems like an interesting experiment to try.

Welcome to all the fun. I have learned a lot on this site, and visit it every day. Hope you find it as rewarding.

cwolfs69

Welcome h0race, nice job on the pens. by the way im new here also. started turning in February. Im not shocked by the quantity of your pens. ive not counted but know ive made at least 400 since February, taking 250 to the show with me next week. what amazes me is variety and thought that you've put into your pens from the very beginning. Your first pen from dymonwood? man it took me forever to go away from the simple cheap woods. nice job.
and Oops was right, that butterfinger pen is super. you don't have a patent on candy wrappers do you, i think i need to try that with my wifes favorite, milky way..

xxShadowxx

hmm...someone by me...now i know where to look when this addiction has me going around and...acquiring...parts :biggrin:

h0race

Thanks cwolfs69.... I don't have a patent but rather I'm willing to share my "not so secret" secrets to how I made the butterfinger pen.

As far as dymonwood.... I have other woodworking interests and I took scrap from one of my other projects for a first pen. The wood is actually (and I hope your listening OOPS) pallet wood I got in Spokane at one of my customers sites. It is some sort of oak.

I have a big long story why my pens are the way they are but in the interest of not putting anyone to sleep, I kept it short.

I do have a large bin of 1x1x6 Ipe cut offs that I am willing to trade if anyone is interested.... but I'm sure that's for another forum.

h0race

This is a pen I made on Wednesday. I made it for a friend of mine that has a mixed family. She is Canadian (white maple) her husband is African American (iron wood) and the lower tube is bamboo to represent their kids.

When I gave this to her, she was so excited, I got a huge hug out of her.... I need to make more pens that generate hugs!

Attachments

• FamilyPen.jpg
    FamilyPen.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 188

h0race

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes... I have been doing this all on my own for the past 10 months... but now that I have joined the IAP (or should I say pen makers anonymous).... I see now have many friends I have out there with the same addiction.... and I know nothing but good can come from this.

After looking around the forums, I have an idea on a pen and I can't wait to see if I can successfully make it and share with you all.

I will continue working on my PENmanship..

Last edited:

OOPS

Well, Tim, now that I know you get over to Spokane from time to time, you might want to co-ordinate your next trip to coincide with our pen turning club meetings. We meet on the 4th Tuesday of each month. Our web site is: www.inwpta.info

If you want more details, please PM me and I can help.

Top Bottom