Introductions….hmmm, I’m wicked new.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

A10GAC

Up until two months ago I had no experience to speak of with turning of any kind. My woodworking experience has been mostly flat work. (linen cabinets, shelves, bookcases, wine holders, etc.) My son made a pen at a local wood working show and really enjoyed it but, that was about it. We talked about getting a lathe "someday", but didn't really do anything about it. My wife was apparently listening and bought me a lathe for my birthday this year.

I joined the Western Mass Woodturners recently and have been practicing basic cuts, coves, & beads. More fire wood than anything else. A few weeks ago my son & I picked out 8 pen & pencil kits and some assorted blanks and have been having a great time. He made an African Blackwood pen/pencil set that looks amazing…he'll be a rock star in elementary school this year.

All in all, it's a lot of fun and turning pens has put me in the shop a lot more than recent flatwork.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Welcome to IAP from Wales !:biggrin:

You are in a no-lose situation!!:biggrin: You have a wife that listens to you AND buys you tools and you share an interest with your son!!!:eek::biggrin: Priceless !!
This site is very much a family site so get him to join and show off his handiwork too.

A10GAC

Thanks, I've been surfing the Library here...man there's a lot of info there. Pencils are on the list for tomorrow and then maybe some fridge magnets with the left over pieces.

A10GAC

Welcome to the IAP and the slippery slope.
All your flatwork cut-offs and drops will start to look like pen material.
DAMHIKT.

Funny you mention that, I already have four glue ups on the workbench. I raided the kindling bucket and found some QSWO and Walnut pieces that were destined for the wood stove this winter.

The bigger problem I see is what I'll be using to light the stove...guess I'll subscribe to the Sunday paper again.

Welcome aboard!!!
Sounds like you have a great wife, all I get is a 'Honey-do list' from mine.....

Scott B

Scott, while I am pretty fortunate..she's still adding stuff to the honey-do list. Pesky thing gets longer everytime I cross something off.

samm47

Im not a new member I was here about 3 years ago. I m the one that my building fell and lost all.I did reteve my jet lathe and turning tools. 2 years later I lost my freind to luekema. i have been in ans out of the hospital a couple times....Think I am on the road to recovery. I would like to thank you all for the blanks you sent me at the time.Im on SS now which doesnt pay well. I am going bto try pen turning again to try and earn some spendind money and make small gifts. Just wanted to check with you all and send my best regards......thank you............samm47

Top Bottom