Introduction

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalmann

Hi from the UK and many thanks for allowing me to join the association.My name is Rob Wilson and I have a UK based business which imports Mozambique hardwoods specifically for the woodturning fraternity. I wholesale these timbers through established retailers in the UK and Europe. All the timbers come from a single sawmill which is run by a great friend of many years. The sawmill was recently adjudged to be the best concession in Mozambique for forest management and sustainability - this is mainly due to their successful reforestation programme and strict environmental policies.
I am a novice turner, initially started turning to better understand the timbers I import, but the bug has now truly bitten. I'm blessed to have grandchildren who gladly accept my very mediocre turnings and don't seem to notice/or care about the blatant flaws in them:biggrin: More recently I have tried my hand at pen turning. Again, the final product is not perfect - yet!- but the sense of accomplishment after finishing a pen is great and friends seem to be grateful to receive them as gifts ( maybe not to damage my ego):wink:.
I have a tremendous amount to learn and I look forward to being an active member of this prestigious association.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Welcome to IAP, Rob !!!!

It would be interesting and fun to see pictures of some of the woods you import.

Last edited:

Dalmann

I will certainly post some pictures once I've turned a few pieces worth taking pictures of:biggrin:

UOTE=magpens;1918318]Welcome to IAP, Rob !!!!

It would be interesting and fun to see pictures of some of the woods you import.[/QUOTE]

Dalmann

Thank you. I'm in a small village Kintbury in West Berkshire

QUOTE=skiprat;1918320]Hi Rob,
Welcome aboard.
Where about in the UK are you based?[/QUOTE]

rockb

Hi Rob, good to have you here on IAP.....if you want pen info, it's all here. Lots of guys with lots of knowledge and willing to share. Your Mozambique adventure sounds really interesting. I'm sure a few pics of the sawmill, etc. would be really appreciated. We like that kind of stuff. : )

Dalmann

Thank you.

TCT Dalmann is the Sawmill in Mozambique website which has pictures of the mill etc and my website is www.dalmannuk.com which covers the timbers but also gives coverage to the reforestation programme and socio economic uplift schemes introduced to help the local population.

I will post some pictures of interest in the near future

QUOTE=rockb;1918333]Hi Rob, good to have you here on IAP.....if you want pen info, it's all here. Lots of guys with lots of knowledge and willing to share. Your Mozambique adventure sounds really interesting. I'm sure a few pics of the sawmill, etc. would be really appreciated. We like that kind of stuff. : )[/QUOTE]

robutacion

G'day and welcome from South Australia.

I'm familiar with some of the Mozambique timbers, my first wife (ex) was born in Mozambique from white Portuguese people and her parents her brought a fair amount of solid wood furniture with them when they left in 1974.

Is great to see a more controlled harvesting of the native trees and you representing the old times where things were all done manually employing so many local workers, I could count 60 on that group pict, I may have missed some "hiding" behind others, they are very shy people, I know...!:biggrin:

It would be most interesting for you to consider cutting some of your woods into pen blanks and offer their sale here on IAP, there are vendors such as myself but there is room for everyone particularly when you offer woods that are not seen in Australia and I believe in the USA, I will have a look at your distributors page shortly so that I can have an idea where your woods are going to.

Best of luck

Cheers
George

Dalmann

Thanks for your welcome George and for taking the trouble to look at our websites.
Thankfully after some rigorous campaigning by TCT-Dalmann and a few other concessionaires (timber) the Mozambique Government, last month, legislated stopping all export of logs. Now all exports must be processed/ semi worked prior to export. This will help prevent the wanton pillaging of the forests, mainly by greedy Far East traders.
Once I've settled in and found my way around the site I will offer pen blanks for sale. I currently have an ad running on eBay USA offering a bulk sale of 100 blanks (10 different species x 10) just to try an assess the market but have been disappointed that the ad has only been viewed 10 times in a week?? Must be doing something wrong :)

Will keep in touch.

Take care

Rob
I'm familiar with some of the Mozambique timbers, my first wife (ex) was born in Mozambique from white Portuguese people and her parents her brought a fair amount of solid wood furniture with them when they left in 1974.

Is great to see a more controlled harvesting of the native trees and you representing the old times where things were all done manually employing so many local workers, I could count 60 on that group pict, I may have missed some "hiding" behind others, they are very shy people, I know...!:biggrin:

It would be most interesting for you to consider cutting some of your woods into pen blanks and offer their sale here on IAP, there are vendors such as myself but there is room for everyone particularly when you offer woods that are not seen in Australia and I believe in the USA, I will have a look at your distributors page shortly so that I can have an idea where your woods are going to.

Best of luck

Cheers
George[/QUOTE]

robutacion

Thanks for your welcome George and for taking the trouble to look at our websites.
Thankfully after some rigorous campaigning by TCT-Dalmann and a few other concessionaires (timber) the Mozambique Government, last month, legislated stopping all export of logs. Now all exports must be processed/ semi worked prior to export. This will help prevent the wanton pillaging of the forests, mainly by greedy Far East traders.
Once I've settled in and found my way around the site I will offer pen blanks for sale. I currently have an ad running on eBay USA offering a bulk sale of 100 blanks (10 different species x 10) just to try an assess the market but have been disappointed that the ad has only been viewed 10 times in a week?? Must be doing something wrong :)

Will keep in touch.

Take care

Rob

Best of luck

Cheers
George
[/QUOTE]

I Rob,

I've noticed that you are using the "quote" option wrong in all the posts I saw so far, the right way is very simple to use.

When you want to reply to someone's post and use his original text as a quote, look at the bottom right of the page, just above the "page #'s" and you will see in dark blue the work highlighted "quote", click on it and a new text page will appear where the quoted text appears above, you simply go pass the quote text, give it a space or two and start typing, press "submit reply" and voila...!:biggrin:

In regards to your reply, it has taken a very long time for the Mozambique Government to make some right decisions in regards to illegal logging and the deforestation that has been taken place for well over 50 years, off-corse the illegal trade and the those involved with it, many inside the Government team, is a very difficult situation to resolve, the self-interest and the conflict of interest of those involved will always delay if not "squash" any attempts to correct the situation even with International pressures.

Wood Industry has been one of "greed" since the beginning of industrialisation in many cases taking advantage of the disadvantaged of native populations, that will do anything to make some money, and old trick indeed...!

I support a fair utilisation of natural resources, and this is coming from someone that has cut many hundreds of trees and have spend the best part of 40 years working with wood.

I apologise for getting deep into the issue, I haven't heard the word Mozambique in many many years and for part of a decade and a half, that place was mentioned daily, I did have a small "taste" of it when I spent the last six months on that horrendous and stupid War there, serving the Portuguese Army that ended on 24 April 1974.

Your presence here and the connections to that country has brought me old memories some not that good but, that's life, we live and learn, huh...?

Yes, I would like to keep in touch..!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Dalmann

Hi George,

The new Minister in charge of Forestry has made a stand against to corrupt exploitation of the timber industry and as you rightly point out, thus includes high ranking government officials. Quite unique and "ballsey" for that part of the world. He has made a huge difference in a very short period of time and we are hopeful he can keep the momentum up and not have his efforts scuppered by corrupt parties in senior positions.

Quite a coincidence, I served in the Rhodesia Army the same time you were about and operated extensively in Mozambique - good chance we left our footprints in the same places :)

Nice chatting and take care

Rob

Will keep in touch.

Take care

Rob

Best of luck

Cheers
George

I Rob,

I've noticed that you are using the "quote" option wrong in all the posts I saw so far, the right way is very simple to use.

When you want to reply to someone's post and use his original text as a quote, look at the bottom right of the page, just above the "page #'s" and you will see in dark blue the work highlighted "quote", click on it and a new text page will appear where the quoted text appears above, you simply go pass the quote text, give it a space or two and start typing, press "submit reply" and voila...!:biggrin:

In regards to your reply, it has taken a very long time for the Mozambique Government to make some right decisions in regards to illegal logging and the deforestation that has been taken place for well over 50 years, off-corse the illegal trade and the those involved with it, many inside the Government team, is a very difficult situation to resolve, the self-interest and the conflict of interest of those involved will always delay if not "squash" any attempts to correct the situation even with International pressures.

Wood Industry has been one of "greed" since the beginning of industrialisation in many cases taking advantage of the disadvantaged of native populations, that will do anything to make some money, and old trick indeed...!

I support a fair utilisation of natural resources, and this is coming from someone that has cut many hundreds of trees and have spend the best part of 40 years working with wood.

I apologise for getting deep into the issue, I haven't heard the word Mozambique in many many years and for part of a decade and a half, that place was mentioned daily, I did have a small "taste" of it when I spent the last six months on that horrendous and stupid War there, serving the Portuguese Army that ended on 24 April 1974.

Your presence here and the connections to that country has brought me old memories some not that good but, that's life, we live and learn, huh...?

Yes, I would like to keep in touch..!

Cheers
George[/QUOTE]

robutacion

Hi George,

The new Minister in charge of Forestry has made a stand against to corrupt exploitation of the timber industry and as you rightly point out, thus includes high ranking government officials. Quite unique and "ballsey" for that part of the world. He has made a huge difference in a very short period of time and we are hopeful he can keep the momentum up and not have his efforts scuppered by corrupt parties in senior positions.

Quite a coincidence, I served in the Rhodesia Army the same time you were about and operated extensively in Mozambique - good chance we left our footprints in the same places :)

Nice chatting and take care

Rob [\QUOTE]

Oh boy, what a strange life coincidence...!:eek:

I truly hope that the new Minister in charge of Forestry has the balls to change such an old and rotten "habit"...!

I was reading my last couple of post here and I realised of how Political I sound when in reality, I never liked politicians and politics, however, there are issues that are close to my heart and when "stirred" I react in the most constructive way I know...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom