Intro forums never have interesting thread titles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Zirnike

Hello, all. My name's Dave, although I respond to Zirnike* or Z (Zee, not zed :) just as well. Imagine yelling 'mom!' in a Chuck-e-cheeses to explain why I do that. :)

Those of you who were at the West Springfield, MA Woodcraft gathering today will know me as the really big guy with the Marvin the Martian t-shirt.

I've been lurking on and off for a while now. Now that I've met a few of you, I decided to stop lurking and start subjecting you to long, highly tangental posts about things you didn't care about. Err, I mean, learn stuff from all of you. :)

I'm a mechanical engineer by trade, although I'm a lot more 'geeky' then your average engineer. My sense of humor is a bit weird - while it started as a joke, my friends sometimes call me the pun-isher. I was always interested in user interfaces, the 'look' of equipment, and similar design elements, which meshed nicely with designing profiles for cool looking - and user focused - pens. Penturning started to interest me for reasons I actually don't remember anymore, and I've gotten fairly good at the basics of it. I get ambitious in bottle stoppers, oil wand kalidoscopes, and some segmented bowls, but haven't done anything too odd in pens yet.

Well, enough random information. Good to meet all of you at the meeting, and I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of you, even if only in an online sense.

* Zir, like Sir, nI, like Bill Nye, and kE, like key.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodworker

Welcome from South Florida, Marvin!:biggrin: I don't get out much so I haven't seen you or your tee shirt but your writing style is most entertaining. Hope we hear from you regularly.

altaciii

Great you have on board. I lurked for a long time on the fringe, just reading and learning until I finally got the knots to jump in and join. Welcome.

Last edited:

MikeInMo

Welcome aboard from another engineer, albeit the civil kind. LOML was reading over my shoulder and shuddered slightly at your self-admission of being more geeky than the average engineer.

broitblat

Welcome, Dave.

As a fellow (electronic) engineer, I find it difficult to imagine "I'm a lot more 'geeky' then your average engineer".

-Barry

karlkuehn

Banned
Welcome, Dave!

Great...another engineer...next thing you know he'll be thinking outside the box and who knows what new trend we'll all be glomming onto! heh

markgum: on a sidenote, I love your signature...the more years I'm graced to have the true friend that I have, I realize that I'm going to be lost when he goes. Wally's the only 'stable' relationship that I have, and at almost 11 years old, he's getting tired. :(

LEAP

Welcome Z it was great to meet you at the meeting and hope to see you at the next. I'm glad you enjoyed our get together and it brought you out of lurker mode. I was surprised to see your Marvin shirt he's always been favorite character.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Hello, all. My name's Dave, although I respond to Zirnike* or Z (Zee, not zed :) just as well. Imagine yelling 'mom!' in a Chuck-e-cheeses to explain why I do that. :)

Those of you who were at the West Springfield, MA Woodcraft gathering today will know me as the really big guy with the Marvin the Martian t-shirt.

I've been lurking on and off for a while now. Now that I've met a few of you, I decided to stop lurking and start subjecting you to long, highly tangental posts about things you didn't care about. Err, I mean, learn stuff from all of you. :)

I'm a mechanical engineer by trade, although I'm a lot more 'geeky' then your average engineer. My sense of humor is a bit weird - while it started as a joke, my friends sometimes call me the pun-isher. I was always interested in user interfaces, the 'look' of equipment, and similar design elements, which meshed nicely with designing profiles for cool looking - and user focused - pens. Penturning started to interest me for reasons I actually don't remember anymore, and I've gotten fairly good at the basics of it. I get ambitious in bottle stoppers, oil wand kalidoscopes, and some segmented bowls, but haven't done anything too odd in pens yet.

Well, enough random information. Good to meet all of you at the meeting, and I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of you, even if only in an online sense.

* Zir, like Sir, nI, like Bill Nye, and kE, like key.

My vote for best introduction speech ever!

Zirnike

Great...another engineer...next thing you know he'll be thinking outside the box and who knows what new trend we'll all be glomming onto! heh

I generally can't even see the box. I was known for really wild ideas, only some of which were pratical. Luckaly, I could generally tell which was which.

As a fun example, my senior design project was a torque limiter for small drills (wish I had one, actually. It would come in handy for preventing blowout...). One of my silly ideas was using water, and varying the distance between the 2 plates. And then using some dry ice to freeze the water. Break the ice, drill stops. Then just use the dry ice again to re-engage the limiter.

I got _really_ weird looks for that one. Not as weird as the time I got some of those biodegradable fake sugar shipping 'peanuts', and started eating them in front of my coworkers, though. I wasn't really appreciated there. Some of the most mundane engineers I've ever seen. I was the only gamer (computer, RPG, or whatever) there.

I'm also pretty good at rambling on, and completely changing the topic. Anyone here play Supreme Commander?

'National Non-sequitor club. We may not make sense, but we sure like pizza'

Top Bottom