Intro - another Floridian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gcurran

So here I am working with a new (to me) person in my company, when the conversation turns to hobbies. Turns out we are both woodworkers. Except this guy is really into turning and makes pens. This is something I have been thinking about ever since I got my lathe a couple of years ago. Turns out he has a couple of websites that he sends me off to (http://www.penstreetwoodworks.com/), yep, that's right, its Jim Shaver.

A couple of weeks go by and I find myself in the local Woodcraft with money in my hand and questions on my lips. A couple of hours later and I am bringing home a large bag filled with all the goodies I need to start turning pens. Of course work get in the way, the holidays get in the way but finally I turned my first pen today; all I can say is that it does write, not pretty at all - more utilitarian. I AM HOOKED!!!! I have not done anything in woodworking that could be finished so quickly -- from rough stock to finished product all in one afternoon. This is great for the precious few hours that I can allot to the hobby.

Jim, thanks for your help in getting me started, eh? :D:D:D

George
sunny Dunedin Fl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gcurran

One of the really great things about working for a multi-national corporation, you get to "meet" people from everywhere!

Originally posted by wood-of-1kind

George, welcome aboard.

Dunedin is a long way from Oakville, Ontario but I'm glad that Jim has you started.

-Peter-:)

GaryMGg

Welcome aboard George. Check out the thread on the North Central Florida Bubbasville.
Hope we'll see you up here at the get-together on February 23rd?

wlk

Welcome to the fraternity!
A couple of hours and gratification.
You know that you pens will get better and better as time goes on. As a newbie myself, I'm amazed at the things I am learning from my own experience and the experience of the selfless people who contribute to this site.

Wade
Plantation (Fla) High School '73

Top Bottom